Surface 2 or Surface 1. Do I need to test my store application on Windows RT and Windows RT 8.1? Or Windows RT 8.1 will be enough.

Question

• I am developing Store application. I want to test it in Windows RT. I am planning to buy Surface device. But do I need two devices with Windows RT and Windows RT 8.1 to test ? Or only one device with Windows RT 8.1 will be enough for testing? 

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:12 AM

Answers

• If you target Windows RT 8.1 then you only need that OS as your app won't run on Windows RT 8.0. If you target 8.0 then the app should run the same on both, but for thoroughness you may want to test both.
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:04 PM
    Owner

All replies

• If you target Windows RT 8.1 then you only need that OS as your app won't run on Windows RT 8.0. If you target 8.0 then the app should run the same on both, but for thoroughness you may want to test both.
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:04 PM
    Owner
  • Well, you mean if I develop my Store application using Windows 8.1 and build it using "AnyCPU". My application will work only in Windows RT 8.1, not in Windows RT 8.0 ? 

If I develop my Store application using Windows 8 and build it using "AnyCPU". My application will work in both : Windows RT 8.1 and Windows RT 8.0 ? 

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:24 PM
  • And maybe it will be possible to downgrade Windows RT 8.1 to Windows RT 8.0 if I will buy Surface 2 ? 
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:40 PM
  • I think you have to purchase the surface RT if you want 8.0
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:37 PM