Installing the Windows Store templates (without VS Express)

Answers

• The templates come with Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate as well. If you have that installed you shouldn't need to install them separately.

Are you running on Windows 8? That OS is required to develop Windows Store apps, and the templates won't show up on earlier OSes.

--Rob

Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:11 AM
    Owner
  • Strange - I ran DevEnv /InstallVSTemplates and all is well now. Weird.

Thanks again, Rob.

Mark Williams

Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:29 AM

All replies

• The templates come with Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate as well. If you have that installed you shouldn't need to install them separately.

Are you running on Windows 8? That OS is required to develop Windows Store apps, and the templates won't show up on earlier OSes.

--Rob

Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:11 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you, Rob. Oh - didn't know that they were already on VS 2012 Ultimate. Strangely, though, when I use New Project... I don't see a Windows Store folder, as in the Getting Started guide. Under the Visual C# node, I see subfolders for Windows, Web, Cloud, ....., Workflow (8 in all) but that's where I expected to see the Windows Store subfolder. Not there though.

I have just discovered C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Windows Store on my machine. It's fully populated with what I'd expect too (a subfolder called 1033 and, within that, subfolders like BasicPage, BlankPage, etc, etc).

I also checked that under Tools, Options and in the Projects and Solutions, General tab, the "User projects templates locations" is set to c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates and "User projects templates locations" is set to c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates

So, pretty confused.

Thanks again.

Mark

Mark Williams

Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Strange - I ran DevEnv /InstallVSTemplates and all is well now. Weird.

Thanks again, Rob.

Mark Williams

Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:29 AM