Backup CERTIFICATE Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've problems with backing up the certificate (on the Witness Server). On principal and mirror, it works fine (Win 2003 Server, US English), but on my local PC (XP Prof, German) what i use as witness Server following backup command raises an error:

USE master;

CREATE MASTER KEY ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'something$Strong123';

CREATE CERTIFICATE HOST_W_cert WITH SUBJECT = 'HOST_W certificate for database mirroring', START_DATE = '01/01/2006', EXPIRY_DATE = '12/31/2050';

BACKUP CERTIFICATE HOST_W_cert TO FILE = 'C:\HOST_W_cert.cer';

The error message is:

Msg 15240, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot write into file 'C:\HOST_W_cert.cer'. Verify that you have write permissions, that the file path is valid, and that the file does not already exist.

I connect to the database with a domain user what is a local admin on the witness server (my local user), so this couldn't be a permission reason. The file doesn't already exists, so that is not the problem.

What could it be?

Greetings, Torsten

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:35 PM

Answers

• I was not able to change the services' account, but i think you are right. I used another Win2003/ SQL2005 Instance as Witness and it works fine.

Thanks a lot,

Torsten

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:31 AM

All replies

• Actually, yes, it is.  The backup runs under the security context of the account that the SQL Server service is running under.  If this account doesn't have access to the root of C, then the backup will fail.
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:47 PM
  • I was not able to change the services' account, but i think you are right. I used another Win2003/ SQL2005 Instance as Witness and it works fine.

Thanks a lot,

Torsten

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:31 AM