Task Switching / Split Screen question

Question

• Lets say I've opened a bunch of Metro apps, and I want to keep the currently selected app open, but split off into the 1/3rd view at the side. This seems easy to do as long as the app I want to take up the other 2/3rds is the previous one in the task-stack (I just part-swipe it in to split-screen it, and then drag it over to the opposite side), but what if the task-stack looks like this: AppA > AppB > AppC > AppD (where AppD is the active app, and AppB is the app I want to split with it), how do I get it like: [AppB|    AppD    ]?

Semantic zoom, or something similar to the Tab-Switcher in Meto-IE would be nice here, but they are app-centric gestures in the new UI, so unavailable. Maybe a new option on the 'charm' menu (terrible name btw), but that seems to be reserved for more context sensitive tasks, so maybe not. Sacrificing fully movable overlapping windows is an acceptable sacrafice for 7-11" tablets, but we really need more flexibility here for Metro if it's going to be a success in desktop-land.

• Edited by David Grogan Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:01 PM

Answers

• Hello David,

When using a mouse, move the mouse cursor to the edge of the left side of the screen to see a small screenshot of previous App running.  While you see the screenshot, you can use your mouse wheel to switch to a different App.  After you see the App you looking for, you can click and drag that screenshot to make it available for a split screen or a full screen. For the finger gesture, just bump the screenshot back to the edge of the left side of the screen to switch to a different App.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:35 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello David,

When using a mouse, move the mouse cursor to the edge of the left side of the screen to see a small screenshot of previous App running.  While you see the screenshot, you can use your mouse wheel to switch to a different App.  After you see the App you looking for, you can click and drag that screenshot to make it available for a split screen or a full screen. For the finger gesture, just bump the screenshot back to the edge of the left side of the screen to switch to a different App.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:35 PM
    Answerer
  • Is there anyway to do that without using the scroll wheel? I tend to use a roller-ball mouse without a scroll wheel.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:39 PM