none
MSDN Page - Edit Box size... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey

Why is the area for typing your whole message only about 10% of the full page? it makes itr really awkward to put everything you want inside such a small box. I have it on Flat view too!

Cant you make it bigger or at least allow the box to be re-sizable? look at all of the dead space

(couldn't find the right thread to place this, there isn't anything related to the site itself)

Cheers

Nacho is the derivative of Nigel - True fact! I am self taught in VB.Net. 50% of the time, I am right 100% of the time!

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:17 AM

All replies

• (couldn't find the right thread to place this, there isn't anything related to the site itself)

Yes there is.

Why do so many members spend so little time looking for answers? It makes it really awkward to help those that really deserve help. Why can't you spend more time becoming familiar with the forums?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:29 AM
  • It's been like this for at least ten years and with that doubt the size will change no matter is a suggestion is made or not. It's the same when writing for MSDN code samples too, the editor is about the same size which means, change one they need to change others and test them.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:32 AM
  • well, its always easy when you know where to look. with respect, this site is not the easiest to navigate on the best of days..

Why do people wait poised ready for someone to write something potentially in the wrong place just so they can waste their time replying about wasting their time replying?

Nacho is the derivative of Nigel - True fact! I am self taught in VB.Net. 50% of the time, I am right 100% of the time!

Friday, February 23, 2018 2:34 AM
  • If people took a long time to respond then you would complain about that, right? Or do you want people to take a long time?

People want you to post in the right place so you get the best results and don't waste your time. I can understand that you think people are being picky but note that people that voluntarily try to help others see it multiple times every day.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, February 23, 2018 8:01 AM
  • i get it mate. This site isnt the easiest and the extremely small box you are provided with that only has about 3 lines of options visible does make it harder to select or find where the post should be. Maybe, MS should invest a bit of time to update it or at least, let some of the users do it.

dont know about you but but i have about 70% of empty space on my screen with the remaining 30% holding everything else....

i'll get my specs out next time and scroll through the miniature list box to find where i should be posting. 99% of the time, its Visual Basic (which is odd because in that forum, they refer Visual Basic as ancient coding methods) 

:)

Friday, February 23, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Small boxes like that exist in most places. You seem to have little experience using the internet.

I often use Expression Web to edit HTML and then copy and paste to the forums. Then I can save my work until it is ready, in case something happens. Also I use HTML Tidy - Online Markup Corrector because there seems to be something in my system that spews out a bunch of unnecessary HTML and there are many other sites and editors like those. If the tiny box is the worst you have to deal with then you should be happy.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, February 23, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Always say the 3rd thing on your mind.

The first will be impulsive

The second will be aggressive

The 3rd will be passive

im just going to say "ok then mate, whatever you believe is right." :)

Friday, February 23, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Use this button to set it to the full size of the form  and hide that left crazy medal box. 

Although Microsoft is not the only one who has fixed the size of a screen. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, February 23, 2018 9:43 AM
  • Nacho,

Yeah.

I recall being told that the forums were given by MS to to the "community" to run. So MS is not directly involved. There is a contractor that maintians the code.

Also the forum setup was designed for use as a product feedback forum that was put to work as this programming forum and therefore a bit off purpose.

And yes many sites were crammed into a small window about 10 years ago. ie Yahoo forums. It wrecked things for desktop computer users. It made things fit on the screen for phone users.

I am sure there are many that would improve the forum but I think the vb forum is old world and there is no interest from the the new world.

Its a phone world now. If you want Microsoft you have to call them, and pay them.

Or go to the clouds.

Windows forms and big desktop computers and screens are old news.

Kind of like complaining that the 1957 Chevy Automobile does not have built in GPS.

Just accept it. Then tell your feelings.

Do the best with what we have. All one can do as far as I know.  It still works more or less.

:)

PS In fact just now I was unable to SUBMIT my post. Had to cancel, refresh page, and start over.

PSS Plus I look at the other vb forums and they seem clunky to me although I have never posted and used their editors. The pages look dull. There are not as many and extensive code blocks, and images, and almost never an animated gif posted.

When I look at other forums I realize I still love this MS vb forum. This is still where I want to post my code samples and pretty pictures. And even ask a question now and then.

Friday, February 23, 2018 12:58 PM