none
Error on submitting a driver based on a resell RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to submit a driver based on a resell, but the WHQL submission test ends win an error telling that I cannot submit a driver signed with SHA-256 signature for Windows 7 and below operating systems. The re-seller told me that he is not able to resell the same driver package only for Windows 10 and above OSs, and the Windows Hardware Lab Kit does not allow me to deselect the below Windows 10 operating systems.

The error message I get is: 

"We found that your submission contained binaries embedded with a SHA-256 signature.  However, you requested that your submission be signed such that it is compatible with Operating Systems which require a SHA-1 catalog. Please remove the SHA-2 signatures from your binaries, or remove the SHA-1 target operating systems (Windows 7 and below) and resubmit."

I only need my driver to be compatible with Windows 10 and above opration systems, but I can't change any of the options: Nor I can remove the SHA-256 signature because it is necessary for Windows 10 and above, nor I can remove the Windows 7 and below options for my new driver submission. Any clues?

Thank you!

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:31 PM

All replies

• Do you have the HCK/HLK log results?  Can't you just do a new submission, rather than the resell option?

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, May 31, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Hi Tim,

the problem happens when I am creating a new submission - I am not trying to resell. I can replace the driver package of the DUA shell at HLK Studio, but when I upload the new package, the driver analysis ends with the error message above. 

The problem is that at the HLK Studio I cannot uncheck the Windows 7 and below Operating Systems, and the original driver manufacturer cannot do it either. They told me that they was not allowed by Microsoft to resell the same driver to me again.

At the partner center there is a checkbox to tell the system to test only for Windows 10 and above, but it is greyed to me.

Any help?

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Well, then, you're not really creating a new submission.  You are "updating" a previous submission.

I'm not sure how you got here.  It should be showing you the same options that were selected for the original submission, but if so, then why didn't the original submission have this same problem?

You might need to contact the WHQL support folks.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 12:19 AM
  • Thank you, Tim. Something happened at WHQL recently. I managed to submit other packages based on this same resell before. The error started happening only recently.

I'll try to contact WHQL people.

All the best,

Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:54 PM