none
Reading Code Analysis RuleSet RRS feed

• Question

• I have written one code Activity for the automated build. We have to categorized code analysis build warnings. From the warning (IBuildWarning) property [Message], we get the Rule Code of the warning. But we need the complete details of the Rule. I googled it but was not able to find much resources on it.

One Way was to  use

var r = RuleSet.LoadFromFile(@"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets\BasicDesignGuidelineRules.ruleset");

But we cannot hard code the path. Is there some Static or Global property of any class that we can use to get all the Rules.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Vikas,

How about this path:

Environment.SpecialFolder.ProgramFilesX86) + @"\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets\AllRules.ruleset"

The folder structure is always like this : 

\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets

Or you can build a new rule set path environment varible like this:

And then you can use it in your program like this:

Console.WriteLine(Environment .GetEnvironmentVariable ("RuleSetPath"));

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Vikas,

How about this path:

Environment.SpecialFolder.ProgramFilesX86) + @"\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets\AllRules.ruleset"

The folder structure is always like this : 

\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets

Or you can build a new rule set path environment varible like this:

And then you can use it in your program like this:

Console.WriteLine(Environment .GetEnvironmentVariable ("RuleSetPath"));

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:32 AM

• Thanks Mike for replying.

I already tested with AllRules, It does not return any Rules. It works with BasicDesignGuidelineRules.ruleset.Is there some way that we can get All the Rules?

//var r = RuleSet.LoadFromFile(@"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets\AllRules.ruleset");
    //var r = RuleSet.LoadFromFile(@"BasicDesignGuidelineRules.ruleset");
    var r = RuleSet.LoadFromFile(@"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets\BasicDesignGuidelineRules.ruleset");

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:29 AM
  • Suppose Rule Id is CA1000 and Name is "Do not declare static members on generic types".

But in the RuleReference object, we do not get any Name or description field. I need Rule Id + Rule Description.

Is there some way we can get both of these values?

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:58 AM

• Thanks Mike for replying.

I already tested with AllRules, It does not return any Rules. It works with BasicDesignGuidelineRules.ruleset.Is there some way that we can get All the Rules?

//var r = RuleSet.LoadFromFile(@"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\Rule Sets\AllRules.ruleset");
    //var r = RuleSet.LoadFromFile(@"BasicDesignGuidelineRules.ruleset");

Hi Vikas,

I just use a file named "AllRules.ruleset", if this confused you, I would change it back to your test file: "BasicDesignGuidelineRules.ruleset".

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Hi Vikas,

As I said, you can try to make a environment variable. All the ruleset files is in that folder, so you can load them in that path.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wz42302f.aspx 

Directory.GetFiles("path","*.ruleset") 

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:59 AM