none
New pictures only show up on Webpage with Red X RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am in the process of updating an old web page that was created with Front Page. I can edit the text fine, but when I try to add new pictures and upload them, I get a red x on the web page. The web site is thegreeleyfoundation.org. I am copying and pasting the new pictures (they are jpeg's) with no luck. I have also tried to browse and select the image, but still a red x. Am I doing something wrong?  Please advise. Thank you, in advance, for any assistance you can provide!

Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• You either haven't uploaded the images to the site at all, or you have uploaded them to a location at a relative path other than the one on your local system. "Image1.jpg" yields a 404 error (Not Found), as do the others checked so far.

Note that it is important to use appropriate naming and organizational conventions. For example, Image1.jpg is supposedly at http://thegreeleyfoundation.org/Image1.jpg. But if you've got an "images" folder (and you really should), that URL is looking in the wrong place, in the site root instead of your images folder.

You have another missing image referenced by http://thegreeleyfoundation.org/greeley%20parade.jpg. See that "%20" in the URL? That's the code for a space. Spaces have to be encoded in URLs, may not be correctly handled by all servers through which the request might pass, and should be avoided in URLs.

You really need to stop now and get yourself some training. Be aware that EW is not FP, not an upgrade for FP, but a complete, professional-grade replacement for FP. Where FP held your hand and shielded you from the need to understand site organization, directory structures, pathing issues, etc. EW expects you to bring to the table a degree of knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of Web development.

Check out the free learning resources listed in the BEFORE POSTING thread. You will want to get some knowledge under your belt before proceeding. It's not rocket science, but it ain't child's play either. Apply yourself a little, though, and you can do it. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by clw64 Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:14 PM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:04 PM

All replies

• You either haven't uploaded the images to the site at all, or you have uploaded them to a location at a relative path other than the one on your local system. "Image1.jpg" yields a 404 error (Not Found), as do the others checked so far.

Note that it is important to use appropriate naming and organizational conventions. For example, Image1.jpg is supposedly at http://thegreeleyfoundation.org/Image1.jpg. But if you've got an "images" folder (and you really should), that URL is looking in the wrong place, in the site root instead of your images folder.

You have another missing image referenced by http://thegreeleyfoundation.org/greeley%20parade.jpg. See that "%20" in the URL? That's the code for a space. Spaces have to be encoded in URLs, may not be correctly handled by all servers through which the request might pass, and should be avoided in URLs.

You really need to stop now and get yourself some training. Be aware that EW is not FP, not an upgrade for FP, but a complete, professional-grade replacement for FP. Where FP held your hand and shielded you from the need to understand site organization, directory structures, pathing issues, etc. EW expects you to bring to the table a degree of knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of Web development.

Check out the free learning resources listed in the BEFORE POSTING thread. You will want to get some knowledge under your belt before proceeding. It's not rocket science, but it ain't child's play either. Apply yourself a little, though, and you can do it. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by clw64 Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:14 PM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Thanks for the information and for the slight kick  in the butt! I am in the process of checking out the free learning resources, in order to gain more knowledge about EW. Thanks also for the information on my images. After reading and rereading your response, I tried a few things that were unsuccessful, but then something you said stuck out. Yo stated that "But if you've got an "images" folder (and you really should), that URL is looking in the wrong place, in the site root instead of your images folder." I checked my images folder (which had my new images in them) and it had not been uploaded to my server. Once I did that, my problem was solved. thank you very much for your thoughtful assistance!!

Chris

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:13 PM