looking for help with creating workstation visual web developer express and SQL express RRS feed

• Question

• User-1872032969 posted

I have tried several times to create a workstation on a laptop running XP Media Center Edition SP3:

This is what I did to prepare workstation:

Create one partition and format hard disk.

Installed XP Media Center Edition OS on Toshiba SatelliteA105.

Installed Security Software and updates, connectivity to internet.

Installed Backup Image software - Ghost.

Ran Windows update - dowloaded and installed 96 Windows updates, including 3.5 runtime.

Scanned for viruses and spyware. No more Windows updates available.

Created first backup image for restore point prior to platform installation.

Began WPI downloads and installation, beginning with IIS5.1

Ran WPI again and downloaded SQL Express and SQL Mgt Studio

System running fine and created second, incremental backup image using Ghost.

Ran WPI again and downloaded the Visual Web Developer Express, installed.

System running fine and created third, incremental backup image using Ghost.

Ok, so it sounds like overkill, right?

What I have attempted to do here is create a clean installation of the software and present to someone out there capable enough to finally learn ASP.NET with a development workstation that can connect and run code that I am inheriting. The code runs fine on back end now, I simply need to restore a database .bak file, connect to it with the code, and create a nice clean environment with which to start. I have spent days and days, nights and nights, weekends and weekends reading and watching, practicing with videos, and it is very helpful for creating new, simple apps, which I have been able to do just fine with earlier installations. The problem I am having has to do with connecting to, and logging into, and accessing the tables and stored procedures within the database itself, and I am hoping that there is someone out there kind enough and willing to accept at least some payment from me for helping me finally create this workstation. I am in the DelMarVa area and will travel with laptop and backup images, all ready to go and respect your time, up to 200 miles to do this. Surely, there must be someone out there willing to help me get over the hump. I have several other backup images showing where I was able to get to in the past with this project and it may be so simple as to make small correction with what I did. I only created the out of box software installation in an effort to make it easier for someone to start from scratch if they chose to. Thanks, just reply to this post or send email.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:11 PM

Answers

• User487807879 posted

If you're going to use that machine just for developing applications (and I'm pretty sure you will, since it's a laptop), you don't need to worry that much about Database security. And to answer your question - "Mixed Mode" should be used when you want to allow someone else to connect to your database (through Internet) and "Windows authentication" should be used if you alone (or someone who has access to your computer over the LAN and you allow him to connect to the database) will use the database.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:11 AM

All replies

• User487807879 posted

So, if I get you right, you have a problem with SQL Database? Can you explain a little better what exactlly is the problem (you can't create database, you can't restore database on your machine...)?

Friday, August 28, 2009 3:01 AM
  • User-1872032969 posted

Thanks for your reply, I have copied the end of my original post, which states what I need to do:

What I have attempted to do here is create a clean installation of the software and present to someone out there capable enough to finally learn ASP.NET with a development workstation that can connect and run code that I am inheriting. The code runs fine on back end now, I simply need to restore a database .bak file, connect to it with the code, and create a nice clean environment with which to start. I have spent days and days, nights and nights, weekends and weekends reading and watching, practicing with videos, and it is very helpful for creating new, simple apps, which I have been able to do just fine with earlier installations. The problem I am having has to do with connecting to, and logging into, and accessing the tables and stored procedures within the database itself, and I am hoping that there is someone out there kind enough and willing to accept at least some payment from me for helping me finally create this workstation. I am in the DelMarVa area and will travel with laptop and backup images, all ready to go and respect your time, up to 200 miles to do this. Surely, there must be someone out there willing to help me get over the hump. I have several other backup images showing where I was able to get to in the past with this project and it may be so simple as to make small correction with what I did. I only created the out of box software installation in an effort to make it easier for someone to start from scratch if they chose to. Thanks, just reply to this post or send email.

I have included this link http://forums.asp.net/t/1464243.aspx to a post which gives an example of what I am seeing when I run code from image of earlier workstation. I apologize if I am not being clear enough about what I need to do. I just want a workstation that is set up properly to run existing code that has been basically thrown in my lap due to someone being fired. Because I can connect to the db with an earlier workstation doesn't mean I am doing this right, and because I have read so much to date, a sitdown is prefferred so someone can give me a tutorial on exactly what is going on with a proper installation and then running through the existing code. Thanks again !

Friday, August 28, 2009 9:28 AM
  • User487807879 posted

Ok, let's go from the beginning - did you manage to restore .bak file? If you didn't, was that .bak file from Microsoft SQL or Microsoft SQL Express database?

Friday, August 28, 2009 9:37 AM
  • User-1872032969 posted

Yes, I was able to restore the database from a .bak file. The code running live now is using SQL server for the database, and I was able to restore the backup given to me using SQL Express. This link http://forums.asp.net/t/1464243.aspx is basically where I am at with the earlier version of workstation I created. The reason I feel I need a sitdown is because I don't thoroughly understand what is going on, and it would be helpful for someone to sit with me and fill in the gaps, so to speak, by explaining to me some specific details about database permissions in particular. Just because I can connect to it now doesn't mean I am going to just move forward with developing website further. I need a better understanding of SQL and all the avalable features within the SQL mgt studio, to be specific. I feel that it would be irresponsible for me to not recognize that I could expose my organization to future attack due to my lack of complete understanding of SQL database permissions. Although the database has already been created and restored from the backup given to me, I just, in the process of trying to make this connection to it from VWD, came to the painful realization that a good web developer should really know more about SQL permissions for the database if I am going to use it for my organization. So I am asking for this workstation to be created from scratch, as you would, with security in mind, as well as connectivity. Thanks again, I really appreciate your willingness to put up with me, I am so excited I finally got it to run, I just want this to be done right.

PS - For example, if you took time with me, I would ask you something like this:

"During my installation of SQL Express, I was given the option of choosing Mixed Mode or Windows authentication. What are the reasons for selecting one or the other, and what would you recommend for my organization, knowing how we would implement the database ?" - and there is the major reason why I took the time to create a virgin workstation to start with if need be. For what it is worth, I chose Windows Integrated Authentication because I couldn't seem to come up with a password strong enough to satisfy the installation routine.

Friday, August 28, 2009 9:55 AM
  • User487807879 posted

If you're going to use that machine just for developing applications (and I'm pretty sure you will, since it's a laptop), you don't need to worry that much about Database security. And to answer your question - "Mixed Mode" should be used when you want to allow someone else to connect to your database (through Internet) and "Windows authentication" should be used if you alone (or someone who has access to your computer over the LAN and you allow him to connect to the database) will use the database.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:11 AM
  • User-1872032969 posted

Thank you, so if I understand, The SQL Server Express Edition that is installed on my local workstation is OK to be using Windows Authentication, and the SQL server used by the hosting provider would probably be using Mixed Mode, right?

I would give you a checkmark for answer, but I have another question, and ultimately need to sit down for this, so I am saving the answer button for whomever grants this sitdown with me. If it is more appropriate for this forum, I perhaps should divide out all my questions, but it is helpful for others to visit in the future to continue in one thread, perhaps?

So the next question would be:

"I noticed during my attempts to create a new user for database, which I restored from backup .bak file using my local installation of SQL Express, that there were many, many different roles, schema, etc. available, and I feel that I have a tendancy in the past, as many others probably do, to overgrant permissions in an effort to make things work. What are the specific permissions necessary for a user to be granted to access the database while accessing it using my local development workstation, versus the permissions that would be necessary to access it using ASP.NET and IIS at the hosting provider when it is implemented?"

Again, in the interest of continuing this thread, I will reserve the answer checkmark for someone willing to do this sitdown with me. Thank you VERY MUCH for answering my questions.

Friday, August 28, 2009 11:01 AM