facebook auth for web api REST implementation RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use the OOB experience when creating a web REST API project like a website? It was easy enough to incorporate the FB redirect for a generated site, but I'd like to use same authentication for a REST API too?  Is it possible to use the components provided by VS project but not do a redirect to FB but rather return a error to calling client?  What would the calling client need to include to the REST API in order for the authentication to work? Is this possible to do?

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi sir,

Yes, you can use FaceBook as an ACS Identity Provider in your project. I suggest you can refer to this document.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/gg185967.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Also, there is a code sample about REST service Authentication with ACS, you could download it and refer to it:

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/AAL-Native-App-to-REST-de57f2cc

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by bmobile Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:52 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:25 AM
  • After reviewing the links and various generated projects in vs2013 and several good articles on this subject, I don't think that what I had visualized or thought I needed is actually here.

I have 3rd party apps that will authenticate against FB.  I will be providing a platform of REST APIs that will need to operate in the context of the person that was authenticated against FB.

I think what I want is a way to take the access token already retrieved from 3rd party app and get detail about person to set context of a local login based on it (if not exists, then add them).

what I'm finding is that the web api has a page that performs the login to FB for the context and adds the user and that's not what I'm looking for.

Is there a way to achieve my object on this with the web api framework in vs 2013?

I think what I want to implement is the 'Your Server' in this picture:

• Edited by bmobile Friday, February 20, 2015 7:01 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 6:48 AM