none
Web Form isnt listed as an option under my New Items list

Question

• Hi all, with my VS Enterprise Trial, a tutorial has told me to add a "Web Form" item to my ASP.NET Web Application project. However when I view items that I can add, it isn't listed. 

The tutorial was: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms243156(v=vs.110).aspx

Can somebody point me in the correct direction? Thanks

• Edited by Pretzelzz Monday, April 25, 2016 6:17 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Pretzelzz,

>> But I can say that after clicking Add Items, I only have three categories on the side panel:

According to this description, I think you are right-click the solution to try add WebForm. Please select the project and right-click to add WebForm as below screenshot shows.

If any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Pretzelzz,

Which version of Visual Studio 2012 do you use?

Please check whether you choose the "Web" tab in Add New Item dialog first.

Then please check whether you have installed the latest update. The latest update is Update 5, please download and install from below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=48708

If have installed, please try restore the templates with command "devenv /installvstemplates". If the problem still exist, please try repair your Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Hi Weiwei, 

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded Visual Studio Enterprise Trial 2015, a few days ago. I did the default install.

Unfortunately I am new on the forum, so am not allowed to post my screenshot showing the items I have available on my list. But I can say that after clicking Add Items, I only have three categories on the side panel:

General (contains 16 items, not including 'Web Form')

Performance (contains 2 items)

Test Settings (contains 1 item)

There is a link at the bottom of the window 'Click here to go online and find templates' but this does nothing when clicked. 

If I search 'web' in the search box, I get 'No items found'.

Running the command:  devenv /installvstemplates  as Administrator, then loading Visual Studio, again has presented me with the limited set of addable items.  ...were these extra items just not installed with the Trial version of VS Enterprise perhaps?

Many thanks if you're able to continue to help me with this!

• Edited by Pretzelzz Monday, April 25, 2016 6:17 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Hi Pretzelzz,

>> But I can say that after clicking Add Items, I only have three categories on the side panel:

According to this description, I think you are right-click the solution to try add WebForm. Please select the project and right-click to add WebForm as below screenshot shows.

If any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Success! I uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio, then also ran ASP.net updates which I noticed were flagged to download, and followed your directions above, and now I see Web Form listed to add for my project. 

Thank you for taking the time to help, and the careful screenshots you made. Have a great week!

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Hi Pretzelzz,

I'm glad that you have resolved your problem, please mark the helpful reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:41 AM