giving permission to IIS Manager on Windows 7 for non-admin user RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this thread already exist, I could not find any help regarding my issue. So I need to give permission to IIS Manager on Windows 7 for non-admin user. The IIS runs on the W7, is there any way to give user that logs in rights to open the console and use it. I don't want to give him admin rights due to problems in the past from the developers. we are using

win 7 enterprise sp1, win server 2008 R2 and TFS.

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• The IIS manager's manifest is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
      <assemblyIdentity name="InetMgr" processorArchitecture="*" type="win32" version="2.0.0.0"></assemblyIdentity>
      <description>Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Management Host</description>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity language="*" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" type="win32" version="6.0.0.0"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <security>
          <requestedPrivileges>
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="highestAvailable" uiAccess="false"></requestedExecutionLevel>
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
      </trustInfo>
    </assembly>

this means that it should prompt a UAC administrator account to elevate, but a regular user shouldn't prompt. Of course the regular user will only have standard rights when using this, so you wouldn't be able to change certain settings.

This is a signature

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Edited by Darran Rowe Friday, February 24, 2012 4:39 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 4:37 PM