none
Active sync on WEC7 with Serial port RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on WEC7 on our custom platform. Activesync with USB is working fine.

I want to use it through Serial. What are the changes need to be done (Considering serial driver is working fine).

What are the registry setting needs to be done.

Regards,

Seetharam

Seeth

Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Which settings? What have you tried?

http://www.itlisting.org/4-windows-ce-embedded/673e1960b122ea84.aspx

What is the OS on the PC with ActiveSync? Windows 8+ don't have raw access to the serial port so often won't connect.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thank you for your reply. I need to use below registry key.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook\

The entries in this part is what I am not sure about. What are the things to be up for Active sync over serial to work. What are the registry setting to be done.

Regards,.

Seetharam

Seeth

Friday, February 12, 2016 5:54 AM
  • So what connection do you have chosen there? Something like:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook\`115K @ SerialPort]

Friday, February 12, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Yes. This is the connection name I used.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Comm\RasBook\`Serial 1 115200]

The setting in this is generic or it changes. Please let me know the correct setting.

Regards,

Seeth

Friday, February 19, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Hi Seeth,

just my 2 cents - besides correct registry you should use full (all lines) serial cables, because AS on the host uses RI line to detect target connection.

Best regards, Igor

Friday, February 19, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Thank you Igor. 

I will check this. Can you post here the registry.

Regards,

Seeth

Friday, February 19, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Hi Seeth,

The setting needs to match your connection definition. Did you look at the previous post at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/f263c0d6-7896-456f-90c1-015fc08bb0b7/how-implement-serial-sync?forum=windowsmobiledev?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Thank you IoTGirl. 

I checked that post but it didn't help me much. 

Could you please explain connection definition. Does it mean COM port number. If so can you please put a sample registry entry and offset which holds the number of COM port. How to change those entries.

Regards,

Seeth

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Seeth:

The easiest/best way to do this is to set up the connection in the control panel.  Then, export the registry settings using the remote registry editor - connects using the ActiveSync connection that you set up.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for Eurotech

Monday, February 22, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Thank you Bruce. 

I created a new connection and tried to connect to the host PC. It does not get connected to the system.

My registry is as below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Uart5]
        "Prefix"="COM"
        "Dll"="Uart.dll"
        "Index"=dword:1
        "Order"=dword:9
        "DeviceArrayIndex"=dword:4
        "IoBase"=dword:020601A0
        "IoLen"=dword:00000020
        "Irq"=dword:18C          ; IRQ 396
        "RxTrigger"=dword:8
        "RxBuffer" = dword:2000
        "IClass"=multi_sz:"{A32942B7-920C-486b-B0E6-92A702A99B35}","{f8a6ba98-087a-43ac-a9d8-b7f13c5bae31}"
        ; Uncomment to prevent loading this driver
        ;"Flags"=dword:00000004 
        "Flags"=dword:8 ;DEVFLAGS_NAKEDENTRIES use naked entry point instead of COM_xxx ie: xxx_init() or init()

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Uart5\Unimodem]
        "Tsp"="Unimodem.dll"
        "DeviceType"=dword:0
        "FriendlyName"="Hayes Compatible on COM1"
        "DevConfig"=hex: 10,00,00,00, 05,00,00,00, 10,01,00,00, 00,4B,00,00, 00,00,08,00, 00,00,00,00,00

This is for initial connection, once if it works I will follow your method to take the registry out and put it in platform.reg. 

Can you help me here.

Seeth

• Edited by Seeth Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:34 PM
  • I am using "Network and dial-up connections" control panel applet to create a direct connection. I see Friendly name when I select New connection. It gets created. But while connecting, it says device disconnected from the remote system you dialled.

In host PC, WMDC is running and USB connection disabled in it. 

Seeth

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Other than selecting "Direct Connection", what did you do to set it up?  Be sure that it isn't waiting for a dial tone before it tries to connect.

You also need to set the Control Panel\PC Connection after creating the connectoid in Network and Dialup.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Eurotech

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

I just created My Connection using Direct Connection in Network and Dial up control panel. I selected the device that got displayed once I click New connection. Device name was Friendly name that I mentioned in the registry.

Then I selected it to connect. After couple of seconds, window popped up saying disconnection message and to Check baud rate setting.

If the above thing works then if I put in Control Panel\PC Connection is enough ? Or I need to put it now itself.

Seeth

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:00 PM
  • As I said this morning, Be sure that it isn't waiting for a dial tone before it tries to connect.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Eurotech

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Thank you Bruce for your reply.

How to see that ? I am not sure about this. Could you please explain.

Seeth

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:07 AM
  • Seeth:

I am not looking at a device right now, but you have one so look around.  In the properties for your connectoid select Configure then the next dialog will have two tabs.  Select each one, then look for it, it is a check box option.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Eurotech

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

I found the option as well as I could create a connection. I tried to connect to the PC, it shows connected after many tries. I have unchecked USB connections option in WMDC on Win 7 PC. And checked the COM7 which is the USB to Serial Port number detected on PC. After this the connection dialog on WEC7 device shows connected. But its not syncing up with the PC. There is no activity on WMDC like USB connection. 

Any idea?

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Seeth

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Seeth:

WMDC?  The title that you gave to this discussion thread is "ActiveSync..."  If I had picked up that you switched to WMDC, I wouldn't have responded.  I don't know if you can get serial working with WMDC - or why you would try.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Eurotech

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:23 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

I was checking with Active sync on Win XP initially. It didn't work so I thought for WEC7 we are supposed to use WMDC. 

With WMDC serial does not work at all ? I don't know about this. Should it be Active sync only for Serial to work ?

Thank you for your response.

Regards,

Seeth

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 5:53 AM
  • If I had picked up that you switched to WMDC, I wouldn't have responded.  I don't know if you can get serial working with WMDC - or why you would try.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Eurotech

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Thank you Bruce for your reply. I will test with Activesync on XP machine. 

I will get back with the results. I hope with WMDC we can't have serial working.

Regards,

Seeth

• Marked as answer by Seeth Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Hi Seeth,

While not supported, a little web surfing shows there are some hacks for WMDC & Serial. See http://www.microsoft-questions.com/microsoft/PocketPC-Active-Sync/29315359/windows-mobile-device-center-and-serial-port-support-issue.aspx.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by Seeth Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 6:48 PM