Unable to create SQL hosting server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

When trying to create a SQL hosting resource I am getting the following error.

{
      "error": {
        "code": "InternalServerError",
        "message": "Encountered internal server error. Please try again."
      }
    }

I have confirmed access from the resource provider VM to the pre deployed SQL VM and it works. If I put incorrect details I get a incorrect creds failure so I believe the right access is there.

• Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?
    • Is there a way to validate the setup?

Thanks

Charlie

Friday, October 20, 2017 3:47 PM

Answers

• In the end I deleted the unlinked the plan and deleted it from the offer. Uninstalled the the SQL provider and read through the logs from the install in more detail. The issue was actually that the admin@domain.onmicrosoft.com account did not have the correct permissions on the default service provider subscription. Changing these to owner for the subscription on this account and re-running the install fixed it.
    Monday, October 23, 2017 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Charlie,

When you deployed your SQL VM host, did you set authentication to SQL or Windows? How did you set the IP? Public or Private? 

NOTE: Authentication needs to be set as SQL, IP set to Public. 

Also - Have you tried add the SQL Host by IP address?

Let us know,

Thanks,

Gary 

Gary Gallanes

Friday, October 20, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Hey Gary,

It is public, I have used SQL auth and checked the security group rules include inbound 1433.

To test I allowed RDP to the SQL RP VM and installed telnet. I can access the SQL server from the resource provider VM by public IP successfully on port 1433. This is the IP I use in the deployment.

I am pretty sure the auth works as well because if I put in incorrect creds the deployment fails with an auth error, however with the correct creds I get the error above.

Is there a way to validate the deployment of the resource provider? It shows 4 deployments having been successful but the 500 error suggests the resource provider service is actually balked.

Failing that I guess I could uninstall the provider and try again. Although when I looked at doing this I cannot see any services listed under the plan to remove them even though I know compute, storage and SQL etc are added (not sure if this is a UI bug, I could try updating it via powershell).

Cheers for the help

Charlie

Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:53 AM
  • In the end I deleted the unlinked the plan and deleted it from the offer. Uninstalled the the SQL provider and read through the logs from the install in more detail. The issue was actually that the admin@domain.onmicrosoft.com account did not have the correct permissions on the default service provider subscription. Changing these to owner for the subscription on this account and re-running the install fixed it.
    Monday, October 23, 2017 7:39 PM