SQL Server Express 2008 command line install missing /BROWSERSVRACCOUNT parameter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to set up a SQL Server Express 2008 instance from the command line.  In the documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx, there is a list of all 2005 command-line parameters with their 2008 equivalents.  It states that /SQLBROWSERACCOUNT has been replaced by /BROWSERSVRACCOUNT.  However, when I try to use /BROWSERSVRACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM", I get this error:

The following error occurred:
    The setting 'BROWSERSVRACCOUNT' specified is not recognized.

Error result: -2068578301
    Result facility code: 1204
    Result error code: 3

Can anybody shed some light on this?  Is the documentation wrong?

Thanks for any help.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

See the following link  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281953.aspx

Excerpt from the documentation :

SQL Server Browser

SQL Server Browser is the name resolution service that provides SQL Server connection information to client computers. This service is shared across multiple SQL Server and Integration Services instances.

The default logon account is NT Authority\Local service and cannot be changed during SQL Server setup. You can change the account after the setup has been completed.

If the startup type is not specified during setup, it is determined as follows:

SQL Server Browser is set to Automatic and running in the installation scenarios described below:

SQL Server failover cluster instance

Named instance of SQL Server where TCP or NP is enabled

Named instance of Analysis Server and is not clustered

This is a SQL Server 2000 upgrade or there is an existing SQL Server 2000 Instance on the machine

If none of the above scenarios apply, and SQL Browser is already installed, the current state of SQL Browser will be maintained.

The startup type is set to Disabled and stopped if there is not an existing SQL Server 2005 or a SQL Server 2008 instance prior to the installation.

George Arama - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:15 AM