none
I want to Understand API's of this File. RRS feed

• Question

• This   Link I am  Familiar with binding.cpp file and it's API's. ( The First one / The First File ).

But i want to be Familiar with BindView.cpp File and It's API's. 

I need your help. Can you give me any Documentation or Any Clue which can help me to get started? 

Thanks

Friday, January 29, 2016 1:45 PM

Answers

• Ok. Download the repo and take just this directory out of it.  (I couldn't find a way to download only a single directory from github). This is a standalone VC++ project. Open the .vcxproj with Visual Studio 2013 (with latest update) or 2015.

Then build the bindview. Even if you have WDK installed, change the project toolchain to a normal VC++ one, and  it should build just fine.  Run it, play with it, read comments in the sources.

If this is too hard - recall my earlier advice.

Good luck...

-- pa

• Marked as answer by Thomas Hopes Friday, January 29, 2016 4:09 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 3:48 PM
  • I was suggesting the debugger since you can then step through the code and see its interaction with Windows.  I.E. What parameters are being passed in and what results are received.  This is one of the best ways to begin to understand what the API's are really doing, and which ones you need for your specific problem.   Once you have done this with the original sample it is fairly easy to try a change and see whether what you expected works.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

• Marked as answer by Thomas Hopes Friday, January 29, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Glad it helps. Other my advices are not bad either.

- pa

• Marked as answer by Thomas Hopes Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:55 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:52 PM

All replies

• Build the sample and walk through it with the debugger.  If you can't do this, then don't even think about trying to build a driver or even an application based on Bindview.

Friday, January 29, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Build the sample and walk through it with the debugger.  If you can't do this, then don't even think about trying to build a driver or even an application based on Bindview.

Are you also bulling me ? 

Friday, January 29, 2016 2:01 PM

Your Answer of the question is Inappropriate for newbie. 

Friday, January 29, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Most newbies on technical forums such as one on drivers know how to build an application and debug it.  If you have a specific problem with building or debugging then a question to the forum is appropriate.  My stating that if you cannot learn the basics of building and debugging you should not attempt to work in the driver space is not inappropriate, it is fact.

Friday, January 29, 2016 3:35 PM
  • Wow, how arrogant. With MVPs like that Microsoft is sunk. Bet you make a great mentor and even more useless commentator on these forums. If there was a report button I would push it.

RR

Friday, January 29, 2016 3:39 PM
  • No excuse for your rude arrogance. You make anyone else who may be trying to learn to develop on the Microsoft platform think it is hostile and arrogant and ready to jump down someone's throat. Will forward you comments to internal Microsoft so they can see how what you term "newbies" are being treated on Microsoft forums. Even more experienced developers will read your arrogant and rude reply and decide twice before asking questions or even developing on the Microsoft platform. And this is indeed a time when Microsoft needs developers. Everybody is a newbie at something. With MVPs like you Microsoft is losing.

RR

• Edited by RobReno Friday, January 29, 2016 3:45 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 3:42 PM
  • @Don Burn 

I don Deep Apology for what i have done. I am so SORRY. 

Thanks 

Friday, January 29, 2016 3:43 PM
  • And i figured out How BindView Without Debugger. I don't understand why do i need a debugger while i have source code? 
    Friday, January 29, 2016 3:44 PM
  • I was suggesting the debugger since you can then step through the code and see its interaction with Windows.  I.E. What parameters are being passed in and what results are received.  This is one of the best ways to begin to understand what the API's are really doing, and which ones you need for your specific problem.   Once you have done this with the original sample it is fairly easy to try a change and see whether what you expected works.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Hopes Friday, January 29, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Ok. Download the repo and take just this directory out of it.  (I couldn't find a way to download only a single directory from github). This is a standalone VC++ project. Open the .vcxproj with Visual Studio 2013 (with latest update) or 2015.

Then build the bindview. Even if you have WDK installed, change the project toolchain to a normal VC++ one, and  it should build just fine.  Run it, play with it, read comments in the sources.

Good luck...

-- pa

• Marked as answer by Thomas Hopes Friday, January 29, 2016 4:09 PM

How to debug in a such way with a source code loaded in?
    Friday, January 29, 2016 4:10 PM
  • If you take Pavel's suggestion of making it a normal C++ project then simply go to the Debug menu in Visual Studio and choose step in (F5) this will start the program and break on the first statement.   You may need to choose properties Debug and add arguments to the program. If you are doing the compilation on one machine and the testing on another let us know and we can point you to the documentation for remote debugging.

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:16 PM
  • If you take Pavel's suggestion of making it a normal C++ project then simply go to the Debug menu in Visual Studio and choose step in (F5) this will start the program and break on the first statement.   You may need to choose properties Debug and add arguments to the program. If you are doing the compilation on one machine and the testing on another let us know and we can point you to the documentation for remote debugging.

Yes. it's Pavel's Suggestion. I want to know what you ware talking about earlier ? How to implement you technique ?

Thanks 

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Well the other approach is use Windbg.  Set the symbol file path to point to the PDB file that was generated with the build, and start debugging.  Like the Visual Studio debugger this provides source code debugging.

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Wow, how arrogant. With MVPs like that Microsoft is sunk. Bet you make a great mentor and even more useless commentator on these forums. If there was a report button I would push it.

RR

Dear RobReno, you are new on this forum (welcome, by the way) - so it looks like you've lost the context.

Please, get enough context before jumping into conclusions.

Regards,

-- pa

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:40 PM

Good luck...

-- pa

Thank You for you advice. indeed it works. It's Really Good!. 

Thanks PA.. 

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:44 PM

Good luck...

-- pa

i quite Adopted your technique and it's working like charm.. Thanks a lot. 
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 2:04 AM

- pa

• Marked as answer by Thomas Hopes Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:55 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:52 PM

- pa

No they are not bad... Keep it up :)
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:55 PM