BizTalk Server 2010 VHD - Boot issue - Windows failed to start. Status: 0xc0000225‏ RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I had downloaded BizTalk Server 2010 VHD from http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=13624

As per instructions I extracted the files, which resulted into BizTalk2010Demo.vhd file of 24.6 GB and some other supporting files.

Then I tried to start the virtual machine from Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.

But on starting the machine I am getting error message as:

'Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:...'

which is the same message as presented on page https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc0000225/ 

The error Status: 0xc0000225 is also the same.

There is an extra 40 GB of free space on the drive containing the VHD file.

I tried to start the virtual machine from Oracle VM Virtual Box but I am getting the same error.

Going through the repairing option doesn't help either. The error still remains.

I tried extracting the files twice from the 10 zip files provided but the result remains the same.

So I wanted to know if there is any issue in the VHD file provided on the site itself or am I missing something?

Thursday, December 4, 2014 5:04 PM

Answers

• THE ISSUE GOT SOLVED

I did installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 on my physical hardware and then started the VHD file from Hyper-V, and it worked.

This means that the BizTalk VHD requires installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 on Physical hardware. It won’t work with the Windows Server installed in VMware or directly starting the VHD file from VMware workstation.

• Marked as answer by Ashish Thorat Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:25 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:25 AM

All replies

• Have you done windows update . I never gone through VHD process but might be below link help u

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/449c29af-cf81-4231-afab-a31c22d3071c/biztalk-server-2010-developer-training-kit-corrupt-files?forum=biztalkgeneral

Thursday, December 4, 2014 5:52 PM
  • One thing I would suggest check is you are meeting the System Requirement given in the Download page.
    Second thing is may be the file is corrupted, hence try downloading again and merge the parts again  (I know the file is big and might take long but IMO this might be the cause if everything else is correct)

If this answers your question please mark it as Answer and if this post is helpful, please vote as helpful. Thanks !

Friday, December 5, 2014 1:48 AM
  • I am not sure how the Windows Server update will cause an issue, as the VHD is supposed to be used on x64 edition of Windows Server 2008. And I am using the same.
    And there is no question of updating the OS in VHD as that never started. I know that was not what you meant. I just want to clear all the doubts.

Friday, December 5, 2014 3:46 AM
  • I am meeting the system requirements given in the Download page.
    And if the file corrupted during download, ideally the extract itself should have shown the error.
    But I will still download the whole copy once again and try.

Additionally I have provided the error screenshot at http://1drv.ms/1vSksCt 

In the meanwhile if someone has used the VHD which I have mentioned in the beginning and it works fine, please let me know. So that we will know that the VHD from the site itself works fine and there are no issues in it.

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:16 AM
  • How much memory are you giving the VM?
    Friday, December 5, 2014 6:59 AM
  • I have allocated 60 GB to Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Standard edition in VMware.
    After copying the 25 GB BizTalk Server VHD files, there is still 22.8 GB free space in Windows Server 2008 R2.

The VMware is installed over Windows 7 Ultimate.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 4:13 AM
  • I have allocated 60 GB to Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Standard edition in VMware.
    After copying the 25 GB BizTalk Server VHD files, there is still 22.8 GB free space in Windows Server 2008 R2.

The VMware is installed over Windows 7 Ultimate.

Sorry if I didn't understand you clearly. Are you using VMWare not the Hyper-V? And which machine has Windows 7 Ultimate? I think VM Ware and Windows 7 Ultimate is causing you the issue.

As I mentioned, below copied below from System Requirement section of the download page which says only supported OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 in your physical hardware. On top you will need to have Hyper-V to use this VM.

Supported Operating System

Windows Server 2008 R2

Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 Hyper-V Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V is required to use this virtual machine

In addition to the system requirements for Windows Server 2008 as described in the release notes, a 64-bit system with hardware-assisted virtualization enabled and data execution prevention (DEP) is required. It is also recommended to ensure that you have a clean install of x64 edition of Windows Server 2008 to be able to use the Hyper-V technology. Prerequisites, installation steps, OS recommendations, and known issues of Hyper-V can be found here.

If this answers your question please mark it as Answer and if this post is helpful, please vote as helpful. Thanks !

Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:46 PM
  • I am having a Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate installed over it.

To try out the BizTalk VHD, I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 in VMware Workstation in order to avoid cleaning a drive and performing a new installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 as a dual boot to Windows 7 which is already present on my laptop.

Hyper-V did got enabled on the Windows Server guest OS in VMware.

Is it the case that the BizTalk VHD will only run on the Windows Server which is installed as a dedicated OS over the laptop hardware and not in a Guest OS in VMware workstation? If yes, then I will have to prepare my laptop for a dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:07 AM
  • THE ISSUE GOT SOLVED

I did installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 on my physical hardware and then started the VHD file from Hyper-V, and it worked.

This means that the BizTalk VHD requires installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 on Physical hardware. It won’t work with the Windows Server installed in VMware or directly starting the VHD file from VMware workstation.

• Marked as answer by Ashish Thorat Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:25 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:25 AM
  • I have noted the steps that were taken to get started with the BizTalk Server 2010 VHD in a video, for anyone who is interested in using the BizTalk 2010 VHD and wants some guidance.

You can go ahead and checkout the video at below link:

How to use the 'Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010 VHD'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91apUw7pfOA

And please let me know if this video was helpful or not.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:28 PM