Email Alert does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've configured alerts to send email to some users, but it is not working. Through the server, sending the email test from team foundation console it works, but when configured by TFS Portal it is not working and there is no error message, it simply does not send the email.

Can anyone, please, help me?

Regards,

Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Barros,

1.Make sure your setup is correct http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms400808(v=vs.110).aspx

2.Make sure that you have the Team Project filter in your team alert.

3.Enable team alerts in Team Foundation Server Administration Console.

4.Enable team alerts with tfsconfig command prompt tool (this is an undocumented feature) tfsconfig configuremail /Enabled:True

5.Check Event Viewer logs

6.Make sure all names are straightforward without any apostrophe or special characters, try to have only one member and test and start increasing the number of members each time with test till you get your problem.

7.Diagnosing Email and SOAP subscription failures using this guide http://blogs.msdn.com/b/granth/archive/2009/10/28/tfs2010-diagnosing-email-and-soap-subscription-failures.aspx

Make sure your users in your Send To List have correct emails

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hello Barros,

Thanks for your post.

From you said” when configured by TFS Portal it is not working

Do your mean you create a My Alert or Team Alert in TFS Web Access then met this issue?

If yes, by default, if we create a Work Item Alert in team project it will exclude ourselves to trigger the alert event, as below picture, then if we do corresponding operation will not trigger the alert event. So you can create a work item Alert, ask others to create work item in team project to see if have same issue happened.

And there have a similar discuss you can have a check: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/c63d9177-f711-44a5-b340-758a25f89bb4/send-alerts-to-alternate-email-preferred-email-does-not-work?forum=TFService

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 26, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Hi Jessica, thanks for your answer.

Yes, I'm creating My Alerts and Team Alerts in TFS Web Access, but the alerts never triggers me an email as configured, not even to another co-workers's email.

Triggering a test email from TFS Server by TFS Console, it arrives at my email.

Hope you can help me,

Thank you!

Friday, June 26, 2015 7:15 PM
  • Hello Barros,

As I posted before, you can follow below process to create a Team Alert now (As I Posted Picture showed before),ask others to trigger the Alert, to test whether you can receive the email?

Located to Team Alert Dialog>>Work Item Alerts>>New>>A new work item is created in this team project>>OK

Monday, June 29, 2015 1:34 AM
  • Hi, here are detailed information

Active Directory environment.E-mail alerts are enabled on the server.

"Send Test Email" works fine from Admin Console.

There are no errors whatsoever in event viewer, including Microsoft Team Foundation Server\Debugbranch.

No emails in Junk folder.

Team alerts being used are simple: "A new work item is created in this team project" .

I tried different alerts and always ended up with the same resultRemoving all members in team and keeping only one still leads to the same result.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:47 PM

• If yes, by default, if we create a Work Item Alert in team project it will exclude ourselves to trigger the alert event, as below picture, then if we do corresponding operation will not trigger the alert event. So you can create a work item Alert, ask others to create work item in team project to see if have same issue happened.

Hi Barros,

So how about ask others to create a new work item in this team project? Did you can receive the email? I want you to test this scenario because I doubt you created your Alert by default as above pictured showed, not to delete the addition: Authorized <> Me .

If you test this scenario, please tell me the result.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:34 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

I've asked another person to create a work item. but even this way I'm not receiving the email.

I've created work itens as default shown by you, and without the "Authorized as" clause, but none of them seems to work.

My user is on the Contributors group.

Anything else I can try?

Thank you!

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:24 PM
  • My guess would be that your company allows you to spam the company but the service accounts that you use do not.

Reach out to your messaging team to ensure they do not kill or have any rules set up to kill messages from reaching the public.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 4:24 AM
  • Hi Barros,

1.Make sure your setup is correct http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms400808(v=vs.110).aspx

2.Make sure that you have the Team Project filter in your team alert.

3.Enable team alerts in Team Foundation Server Administration Console.

4.Enable team alerts with tfsconfig command prompt tool (this is an undocumented feature) tfsconfig configuremail /Enabled:True

5.Check Event Viewer logs

6.Make sure all names are straightforward without any apostrophe or special characters, try to have only one member and test and start increasing the number of members each time with test till you get your problem.

7.Diagnosing Email and SOAP subscription failures using this guide http://blogs.msdn.com/b/granth/archive/2009/10/28/tfs2010-diagnosing-email-and-soap-subscription-failures.aspx

Make sure your users in your Send To List have correct emails

Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

Please check if alerts work for a different team project.

Also check if alerts work for a different team project collection.

If alerts work for a different team project collection there is a very high probability that there could be a faulty alert set in one of the team projects.

Hope this helps you.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

What about this question?

If resolved, could you share the solution?

If not, have you tried the suggestions I provided before?

Best Regards,

Friday, July 3, 2015 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please feel free to reopen it or submit a new question. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:29 AM