Where are the Metro Start page tiles stored

Question

• Where in the system is the information stored about the tiles that are displayed on the Start page ? e.g. let's say i have a traditional application like notepad, where in the registry or filesystem do i need to add keys / files so that notepad shows up as a tile? I know how to do this manually, but i am asking this question as i wonder how i could script, automate this when creating a custom image.

Thanks

Alsx Verboon www.verboon.info
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and for trying Windows8! The Start layout is personalized by the user and it puts the user in control of how they want to personalize Start and be confident that it won't change unless they customize it.  And so, there is no API or scripting generally available for changing the layout, but we are investigating how to support the enterprise image creation scenario in particular.

Thanks again,

Nazia

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• Looks like they may be in DAT files pointed at by the registry here: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid]. The actual files are in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\TileCachexxxxxxxxx.dat. It may be impossible to script this way, but is likely accessible using APIs through .NET (either in a simple app or PowerShell). I'll hit this thread again if I find out more.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for letting me know.

@Microsoft: Please consider the Desktop Engineers on this planet. Our corporate customers will come up with requirements like "Please set our default start menu / metro / tiles with this and that application".

I really hope MS is going to provide an easy way how to easily create a template that can be used for / in corporate images.

Thanks

Alex

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and for trying Windows8! The Start layout is personalized by the user and it puts the user in control of how they want to personalize Start and be confident that it won't change unless they customize it.  And so, there is no API or scripting generally available for changing the layout, but we are investigating how to support the enterprise image creation scenario in particular.

Thanks again,

Nazia

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Alex, will corporate really want to use a Metro interface? I can see it perhaps as part of a kiosk or simple PoS config, but beyond that I struggle to picture where it wouldn't be anything other than a productivity killer.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:20 PM
  • I somewhat agree, but..... if it is not going to be customizable via scripts, then i would at least want to see an option where the apps that are included by default can be easily removed. Because if this ends up being available within an enterprise SKU we for sure would want to remove some metro apps, if today my customers want to have this feature added and another feature disabled, why would this be different with metro apps in the future.

Thanks for taking corporate desktop engineers into consideration when re-imagine Windows 8 :-)

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:36 PM