none
Sharepoint Workflow on item creation not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i have 2 lists ListA and ListB,

i have written workflows wfA  and wfB,

when an item is added into ListA the wfA creates an Item in ListB, on which the wfB will be evoked and send a mail to ABC,

but this is not working,

when wfA creates an item in ListB, the wfB is not getting started, i checked all the settings, but when i add Manually an item into ListB the wfB works fine.

please anyone help me on this 

Friday, February 24, 2017 12:22 PM

All replies

• Workflow instances run in the context of the user (initiator) that caused the event that kicked off the workflow.

That instance will run as the user who was logged in to SharePoint that created/modified the item.  When the workflow runs, it may need to do certain things that the initiator doesn't have permissions to do.  In that case, you want to look at impersonation.  The ability to have some of your workflow logic run as the user who authored the workflow design.  In most cases, this is someone who has greater permissions than the average user.

This is why you are able to add the items and it works fine because you (the initiator)  have sufficient permissions.

http://www.learningsharepoint.com/2010/07/31/impersonation-in-sharepoint-designer-2010-workflow/

<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <script> WebFont.load({ google: { families: ["Cookie:regular"] } }); </script> <style> ul { list-style-type: none; } #Name { font-family: "Cookie"; } #Logo { margin: auto; } </style>

• Danny Hickman
        • Systems Engineer
        • Hanover County Government
    </html>

Friday, February 24, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

Try to install the SharePoint Server 2013 May Cumulative Update 2014 and use below new rest api to start the workflow on another list.

/_api/SP.WorkflowServices.WorkflowInstanceService.Current/StartWorkflowOnListItemBySubscriptionId

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sridhara/2014/08/19/fix-sharepoint-2013-workflow-recursion-prevention-part-1/

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 27, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Stark ,

but am testing with Site Collection Admin account, even then the WF is to getting triggered on item Created , when i start it manually , it works , am using sharepoint Online,

what else can i check ?

thanks for ur help in advance 

Monday, February 27, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Ahhh... I see. Can you verify the "Start Options" of the workflow. Make sure that the option for "Start workflow automatically when an item is created" is selected.

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Yes , its checked, even then facing the same prob , the WF is working fine if i Add entries Manually to that particular list, but the entry is done through another WF(by Create List Item option), the WF does not get initiated
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to start the list workflow by REST api mentioned previously.

/_api/SP.WorkflowServices.WorkflowInstanceService.Current/StartWorkflowOnListItemBySubscriptionId

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:33 AM