Suggestions for higher level robotics? RRS feed

• Question

• Having started with the basics, I now have both simulations and a real nxt robot doing simple things. I am also working on adopting a Robonova to a miniature x86 based computer, and developing a MRDS service that allows a Android mobile phone to be used as a mobile sensor package (GPS, Compass, Gyro, Accelerometer, Camera).

What I am looking for is the next step in learning; something along the lines of a 'design patterns'+'robotics software architecture' that describes common/best practices for more advanced data structures and code.  Is there any suggestions on this? I know I can certainly explore on my own, and rediscover the wheel, and that I can probably pick up bits and pieces here and there by reading everything, but I was hoping there was a book that stood out as current and useful.

M

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• wow, seems like you have tried a lot of different projects!

Depending on your background, you may want to read Probabilistic Robotics. The book is relatively new and very heavy in the theory, but it covers the modern theory for a lot of the real problems in robotics today. the book is very "dense" though.

If you are looking for a book that covers MRDS and highlights on programming paradims, best practices and a solid overview of MRDS, then Professional Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio is a great book.

Thanks,

Dan

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Thank you, I will grab a copy. I also saw Computational Principles of Mobile Robotics that looks good but is not published yet.

I already have the WROX book but have only glanced through it, it looks to be targeted towards RDS 1.5, but I plan on going through it to complete the Android Sensor Service (we wont abbreviate that quite yet).
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Yes, ProMRDS is targeted at V1.5 and it is not likely to be updated any time soon because the publishers are not interested in an update. However, I keep the samples up to date and you can download the latest version for RDS 2008 R3 from here:

http://promrds.codeplex.com

The coding patterns in the book are out of date, but they still work. There are newer extension methods and "syntactic sugar" that reduce the number of lines you need to write. Also, C# has evolved so that the syntax for lambda expressions (anonymous delegates) is now more concise. You can find some examples in the Release Notes for RDS.

Trevor

Thursday, June 3, 2010 5:30 AM
  • Although the book is geared towards RDS 1.5, I read through the book and finished a few weeks after RDS R3 came out. As Trevor states (and I can attest to), the concepts in the book, coupled with the updated samples (including those using SilverLight, WPF and Lambda expressions) provided a great basis for getting me up to speed.

I had no problem coorelating what was out of date from ProMRDS to what is "new" in V2, R2 and R3, especially after reading the readmes for each release.

What worked well for me is I read each chapter, then went to the R2 (or R3), and tried the examples out in the book. where things did not work, I went to the web site and readme to see where deltas were.

Good luck!

-Dan

Saturday, June 5, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Ok, it's been a couple of months now, and I still have not found an answer to this question.  Is robotics dead? Or has it just been taken over and hidden from the public by corporations?

I read a bit into the Probabilistic Robotics book mentioned above.  It was a little too heavy, over my head, but I am still reading, a little at a time. I picked up Robot programming; a pratical guide to behavior based robotics . There seems to be some decent concepts in this book, but it is not well written, not well organized, and seems to push a web site that has since moved and not been updated in 3 years. I was hoping I could find a modern books with these concepts, but no such luck. The wrox book covers the low level MRDS stuff well, and has been very helpful in that respect, but does not cover higher level concepts.

So has anyone run into anything more along the lines of 'design patterns for robotics' ? If not, it is a book that is in severe need of being written, assuming robotics is not as dead as it seems.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hello Spiked3,

Robotics is highly interdisciplinary and robot software architectures are typically propreitary. In fact MRDS is one of the first attempts to standardize robotics programming and software.  It's hard to find a single book cover every thing you need to know about robotics.   However you may try such books as "Introduction to Autonomous Mobile Robots" by Seigwart and Nourbakhsh or "Behavior Based Robotics" by Arkin.  Also try "Introduction to AI Robotics" by Murphy.  I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Thanks, ordered, $175 :(

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:24 AM