access database connection RRS feed

• Question

• User497225302 posted

I'm having a terrible time being able to connect my access database to my website. I'm using 1and1.com as my host. The database resides in my App_Data folder. I checked everything I could think of on the host side. I cannot query from the database through VWD Express nor create a typed dataset .xsd that will allow quering the database.

thanks! 

p.s. - I don't need any sophisticated security on the database, just a homegrown sign in I put together that works fine for my site which is mostly xml file data.

Friday, July 2, 2010 9:21 AM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

What help has your host provided?  And what, exactly, is your trouble?  Errors...?

Jeff 

Friday, July 2, 2010 10:04 AM
  • User497225302 posted

Error "No Read Permissions".

I went to 1and1's tool "Administration|Web Space & Access|Webfiles" to look at the Security on this folder (App_Data) and Find these users:

u43538431        *Has a red "X" and the permissions greyed-out (But shows full read, write)

IUSR_u43538431      -full read, write

NETWORK SERVICE     -full read, write

I contacted the host and got nowhere.

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:03 AM
  • User637893553 posted

Rename or recreate database with different name and change connection strings in application and try.

Hope this helps

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:58 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Rename or recreate database with different name and change connection strings in application and try.

Hope this helps

No, the database was corrupt

http://forums.asp.net/t/1578614.aspx

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:00 AM
  • User637893553 posted

As per my knowledge for web based applications MS Access is not recommended.

Hope you have backup.

Best of luck.

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:51 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Nonsense... For most websites, even with a far amount of page visits, Access will do just fine. Only when you're building very large websites targetting many, many users, you need to look for a better solution. But for most users here, Access will do just fine....

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:54 PM
  • User637893553 posted

Nonsense... For most websites, even with a far amount of page visits, Access will do just fine. Only when you're building very large websites targetting many, many users, you need to look for a better solution. But for most users here, Access will do just fine....

hans_v -

Due to overload on databasem, it  crashed, that means access is not the recommended here.

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:27 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Due to overload on databasem, it  crashed, that means access is not the recommended here.

In a shared hosting environment (1and1.com), Access will never ever be a botlleneck. If an Access database gets corrupted or damaged, in 99% of the time it is because connections do not properly get closed. If have seen many websites, even pretty big ones with a lot of traffic, running with an Access backend without any problem. All the websites that I developed using Access the database never ever gets corrupted or damaged. Like I said, I never seen the error in this thread before. So I can say form my own expereince that if you code well, for small and medium size website Access will do just fine.

Let me tell you something else. In shared hosting environments (which many users on this forum will use), where overselling is common practice, Access sometimes performs better as a shared SQL Server which is quit overloaded. Also, the SQL database space is many times limited, or you'll have to pay extra. For that, you double the risk that your website doesn't work, because when SQL is running on a different server (which it should), when either the database or webserver crashes or whatever, your website will be down.

But as so many times, many people, that never used Access will tell, just like you, that you shouldn't use it in a web environment. I can't 'win' this discussion, and I won't even try. I know what I know from my own experience, maybe it is a good idea to talk from your own experience as well, not from what you heard form others! When you'll try, I'm sure you'll tell a differnt story....

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:16 PM
  • User637893553 posted

In a shared hosting environment (1and1.com), Access will never ever be a botlleneck. If an Access database gets corrupted or damaged, in 99% of the time it is because connections do not properly get closed. If have seen many websites, even pretty big ones with a lot of traffic, running with an Access backend without any problem. All the websites that I developed using Access the database never ever gets corrupted or damaged. Like I said, I never seen the error in this thread before. So I can say form my own expereince that if you code well, for small and medium size website Access will do just fine.

Let me tell you something else. In shared hosting environments (which many users on this forum will use), where overselling is common practice, Access sometimes performs better as a shared SQL Server which is quit overloaded. Also, the SQL database space is many times limited, or you'll have to pay extra. For that, you double the risk that your website doesn't work, because when SQL is running on a different server (which it should), when either the database or webserver crashes or whatever, your website will be down.

But as so many times, many people, that never used Access will tell, just like you, that you shouldn't use it in a web environment. I can't 'win' this discussion, and I won't even try. I know what I know from my own experience, maybe it is a good idea to talk from your own experience as well, not from what you heard form others! When you'll try, I'm sure you'll tell a differnt story....

Hey Hans,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience using Access over web applications. Well I’m a big fan of access from version 2k for windows applications. Yes you are right generically many people don’t know much about Access. I never get a chance to use access over web applications as my client requirement is SQL server / mysql. 

Really thanks a lot for your time for explanation and I’ll try with access and will share my experience with you. Can you tell me one more thing up to how many records we can use access in other words what are measurements and boundaries for it? Give me example category of sites ex:- forums….

Many thanks in advance.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:07 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Can you tell me one more thing up to how many records we can use access in other words what are measurements and boundaries for it?

Microsoft Access Database Specifications and Limitations

Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:17 AM