File version of my class library RRS feed

• Question

• I've looked and found app version... but I am looking for is how to find the file version of my library. when I select the properites of my dll, I want to be able to pass that back to the client app using the dll?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is two public functions you can try in your class. One returns the Assembly Version and the other returns the File Version.

Add these to your class

Public Class Class1

Public Function GetAssemblyVersion() As String
            Return (GetType(Class1).Assembly.GetName().Version).ToString 'Use the name of your class in the GetType()
        End Function

Public Function GetFileVersion() As String
            Return FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location).FileVersion
        End Function
    End Class

Then in the form that you added a reference to your class you can call them like this.

Imports GetVersionTest

Public Class Form1
        Dim gvt As New Class1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            MessageBox.Show(gvt.GetAssemblyVersion)
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            MessageBox.Show(gvt.GetFileVersion)
        End Sub
    End Class

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Marked as answer by LandLord323 Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:45 PM

All replies

FileVersionInfo.FileVersion Property

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            RichTextBox1.Clear()
            Dim FVI As FileVersionInfo = FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo("C:\Users\John\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\MyDll\MyDll\bin\Debug\MyDll.Dll")
            RichTextBox1.AppendText(FVI.FileVersion)
    End Sub

La vida loca

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:46 AM
  • Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:50 AM
  • I've looked at that.. not quite what I am looking for... I am wanting a function in my library, to return the version of the dll to the client, not the client version.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:50 PM
  • I've looked and found app version... but I am looking for is how to find the file version of my library. when I select the properites of my dll, I want to be able to pass that back to the client app using the dll?

I think you'll find this article interesting. It's pretty short.

Still lost in code, just at a little higher level.

:-)

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Here is two public functions you can try in your class. One returns the Assembly Version and the other returns the File Version.

Add these to your class

Public Class Class1

Public Function GetAssemblyVersion() As String
            Return (GetType(Class1).Assembly.GetName().Version).ToString 'Use the name of your class in the GetType()
        End Function

Public Function GetFileVersion() As String
            Return FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location).FileVersion
        End Function
    End Class

Then in the form that you added a reference to your class you can call them like this.

Imports GetVersionTest

Public Class Form1
        Dim gvt As New Class1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            MessageBox.Show(gvt.GetAssemblyVersion)
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            MessageBox.Show(gvt.GetFileVersion)
        End Sub
    End Class

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Marked as answer by LandLord323 Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:45 PM