none
Unable to Deploy SSRS Reports Containing Pound (£) Sign RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a project where we had an unusual issue recently. An SSRS report published to a development server directly from Visual Studio without any errors. But on publishing the same report to a test server it failed. To publish to test we use a PowerShell script that uses the ReportingService2010 web service - this is because in test and production, the reports have to be uploaded to specific folders, which can't be configured within Visual Studio.

The error message returned by the web service indicated that the report XML contained an invalid character, so I opened up the .rdl file in Notepad++ and searched for non-ASCII characters. This highlighted the presence of a British pound currency symbol (£) in one of the column headings in the report. I replaced the pound sign with £ the escape code for a pound sign - the report rendered fine in Visual Studio, but again would not upload via the web service, the only solution was to take out the pound sign entirely. Why would the report publish successfully with one method but not the other?

I'm using Visual Studio 2017 (15.9.13) with SSDT 15.9.1 (Reporting Services Projects version 2.5.6)

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:58 AM