How Microsoft screwed XNA developers with Win8

General discussion

• Quote:

------------

all my code was XNA. All the physics, all the particles, all the lighting, all the sound, graphics, all that stuff was XNA. There had been rumours that XNA was going down the pan, that Microsoft weren’t supporting it anymore, all that sort of stuff. So at Develop [an annual games industry conference held in Brighton, UK this July] I went up to the guy on the Windows 8 stall and asked him to clear it up, I asked him to tell me whether or not my XNA game was going to run on Windows 8, because it was difficult to get a definitive answer.

He basically just looked at me and shook his head, and said ‘no, it won’t run.’ I said ‘at launch, or ever?’ And he said ‘ever.’

So that was a bit of worry. Rather than taking that one guy’s word for it I came away and Googled the shit out of the problem, and as far as I’m aware there’s still no official word from Microsoft on what the future of XNA is, how it’s all going to work on Windows 8, whether it’s going to work on Windows 8. So I’ve got this one guy who’s in the know telling me that the game I’ve worked on for the last year and a half isn’t going to be supported by Windows 8. And from that I can extrapolate that it won’t be supported on Windows 9, or 10, or any Xboxes or anything like that.

-----------

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/28/the-swindle-preview/

• Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, September 28, 2012 8:35 PM Developer question (From:Windows 8 General)
    Friday, September 28, 2012 7:00 PM

All replies

• XNA should run on the desktop in Windows 8 similar to how it does on Windows 7. If you want to discuss XNA further please post in the XNA forums.

XNA is not supported for Windows Store apps, but there are similar 3rd party libraries.

--Rob

Friday, September 28, 2012 9:45 PM
  • MonoGame is the best way forward for XNA on Windows 8.  There are several games already in the Windows Store that have been built with MonoGame.  Bob Familiar, Microsoft's Director of Technical Evangelism East Region, has written a few blog posts on porting your existing XNA titles to Windows 8 using MonoGame.

So while XNA itself is not supported, MonoGame is more than enough to get most XNA titles on Windows 8 with very few problems.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:37 AM
  • I believe that C++/CX and DirectX11.1 would be a good replacement for XNA Platform. However, XNA still supports on Silverlight Platform and may be Windows 8.

Best Regards. Pooya Eimandar.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:02 AM