Tap-Hold-Release on a Bing Map

Question

• My Windows 8.1/XAML/C#/VS2013 Store App (for tablet) works well enough that I'm showing it to people to get user feedback.

I'm showing it engineers and non-engineers. This is a port of a Windows 7 app, so folks already have some idea of what it's suppose to do.

In my app, users can tap-hold-release to get more information (MessageDialog) about different areas drawn on a Bing Map. It works once people get the hang of it. It seems very fussy about holding for almost the exact amount of time that windows expects. People are trying more than once before seeing the MessageDialog. When people go from my touch-screen laptop to a large touch-screen monitor, it seems like the learning process (for getting the touch length and pressure just right) starts all over again.

Is there a way to adjust the thresholds for tap-hold-release? Is there training software to help users get the hang of it?

I'm finding that if I sit with people, it's ends happy. If I don't, people give up and walk away frustrated (which is not exactly the sales experience I was hoping for).

All thoughts appreciated.

Randy

Randy

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:06 PM

Answers

• There isn't a programmatic way to tune the tap-and-hold timing. For help with system configuration please ask in the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com or in the Windows 8.1 IT Pro forums on TechNet. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust that specifically (I don't see a setting, but it may be based on the double-click timeout or such). The folks in those forums should know and should be able to point towards docs on using Windows.

If you want to code non-standard behavior into your app you could implement the gesture yourself by tracking Press and Release, but using non-standard behaviors could confuse your users and make things difficult for some.

See Touch interactions for the developer docs on the touch language and how tap-and-hold should be used.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 6:04 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This isn't a Bing Maps related question as a general Windows Store App development question. I have moved this post to the Windows Store App development forums.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:23 PM
  • There isn't a programmatic way to tune the tap-and-hold timing. For help with system configuration please ask in the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com or in the Windows 8.1 IT Pro forums on TechNet. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust that specifically (I don't see a setting, but it may be based on the double-click timeout or such). The folks in those forums should know and should be able to point towards docs on using Windows.

If you want to code non-standard behavior into your app you could implement the gesture yourself by tracking Press and Release, but using non-standard behaviors could confuse your users and make things difficult for some.

See Touch interactions for the developer docs on the touch language and how tap-and-hold should be used.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 6:04 PM
    Owner