MDS - SQL Server 2016 CTP 2.2 - Explorer Functionality Not Accessible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently installed MDS from the CTP 2.2 preview release of SQL Server 2016 in a Windows 2012R2 (version 6.3.9600) virtual machine. MDS is the only component of SQL Server 2016 in the newly created VM - the MDS database has been created in a SQL Server 2012 instance on a separate server.

The installation / configuration of IIS and MDS seems to complete without any errors. On reaching the home page of the MDS web interface, the Explorer functionality is inaccessible (greyed out).

This looks like a permissions issue, but the user has an account in MDS and has been granted permissions to access all functionality (including Explorer, Super User and System Administrator) and has been granted access to a simple model/entity created just to test the environment. The 'version' dropdown on the home page is also blank despite version_1 of the test model having been created.

Any idea where things are going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, August 14, 2015 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Vincent,

I have tried with your work around and actually it works :-) I also have another work around which I am using it before. I just got to know about above workaround today via twitter response. Please refer to this to see my work around http://manishku.blogspot.dk/2015/08/master-data-services-2016-ctp-22.html

Regards,

Manish

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Friday, September 11, 2015 6:33 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 11:18 AM
  • Hi Cameron,

It is a bug in the CTP build and will be fixed in the next month release.

There are couple workarounds

1. As you found, use Application under a website instead of a top level website.

2. Open c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Master Data Services\WebApplication\Scripts\Index.js

Find "/api/Models/" and remove the leading splash as "api/Models"

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:23 PM

All replies

• In the home page, have model list been loaded?

Can you open fiddler and catch the traffic on the client machine and attach the archive file here.

Friday, August 14, 2015 6:14 PM
  • Yes, the model itself can be seen and selected in the dropdown on the MDS home page but not the version.

I'll investigate Fiddler.

Monday, August 17, 2015 10:55 AM
  • I installed Fiddler and monitored the web traffic. There were a couple of 502 errors...

#             Result   Protocol               Host       URL

137         502         HTTP                      api          /Models/221c3ddb-2574-4139-9a71-1602f6a7969a/Versions

138         502         HTTP                      api          /Models/221c3ddb-2574-4139-9a71-1602f6a7969a/MemberTypes?MemberType = 1

TextView

[Fiddler] DNS Lookup for "api" failed. System.Net.Sockets.SocketException No Such host is known

It seems that some URLs were not being constructed correctly and it was looking for a server called 'api' which doesn't exist. 

I deleted the dedicated website I created for MDS and reconfigured MDS to use the default site with a web application of 'MDS' and it seems to have resolved the problem. Both the version dropdown and Explorer function are now accessible along with the other functions.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Tuesday, August 18, 2015 1:53 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

It is a bug in the CTP build and will be fixed in the next month release.

There are couple workarounds

1. As you found, use Application under a website instead of a top level website.

2. Open c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Master Data Services\WebApplication\Scripts\Index.js

Find "/api/Models/" and remove the leading splash as "api/Models"

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

I have tried with your work around and actually it works :-) I also have another work around which I am using it before. I just got to know about above workaround today via twitter response. Please refer to this to see my work around http://manishku.blogspot.dk/2015/08/master-data-services-2016-ctp-22.html

Regards,

Manish

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Friday, September 11, 2015 6:33 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 11:18 AM
  • Thanks for your post. Would you know why silverlight gives correlation ID error ?
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:59 PM