none
Add in Error-This add in is not responding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are developing Word-2016 office  add-in using Office.js and Angular 2. Some times we are getting "Add-in Error: This add-in is not responding" warning message on left top of the Add-in. We are using Tree control in add-in and we belive that it is the cause of the following warning message. Can you please tell us the way how to remove this warning message in Add-in.

Thanks a lot.

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:36 PM

All replies

• Did you run your project in desktop or Word online?

>> We are using Tree control in add-in and we belive that it is the cause of the following warning message

To check whether it is related with Tree control, I would suggest you remove this control, and make a test again.

I would suggest you try Fiddler to capture the requests when loading the Word Add-in to see whether there is any error.

Per to this error message, it seems you run a long-time operation and block the UI. I would suggest you try WebWorker.

I suggest you refer below link for more information.

# Design and implementation techniques

https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/develop/resource-limits-and-performance-optimization

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Glad to see your response.Thanks a lot.

We are running in desktop.

I have removed the tree control and tested. This warning message/Icon is not coming. 

In Angular2, we are using databinding. We are reading the data from word content controls and converting into hierarchy list. Upto here we found that this code will not produce warning icon. After that  we are assigning the hierarchy list to tree through property Binding  as follows.

this.Headings=this.GetHierarchyList(flatListItems);

in HTML.

<tree-root [nodes]="Headings"/>.

we observed that tree is loading in 2 seconds. 

If we are constructing  the tree  dynamically, we can use web worker. but here we are using data binding. Please Could you let us know how to resolve this.

Thank you very much.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:15 PM
  • I am glad you have found the root cause of this issue.

As you found, it is related with Tree Control. After check Performance issues with large trees, I am afraid there is no better way to resolve this requirement under Tree Control. I think this is the limitation of the Control.

For a long operation in Office Add In, the only option is Web Worker.  

I am afraid you need to construct the tree dynamically or use a Tree Control which is supported lazy loading.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:24 AM