Virtualized installation RRS feed

• Question

• User104367873 posted

Hi, question:

I'm developing ASP.NET applications.  I use Visual Studio, VB.NET and SQL Server 2005, with ODBC connection and of course IIS.

ATM, on my computer, there is Windows Vista X64 installed. 

Unfortunately, with the latest security updates, the instability (which already was not that good) has now reached a point where it becomes virtually impossible to do work...

(And it's already virus (rootkit?) infested (3 month since initial installation), although an anti-virus program + Firewall runs).

The anti-virus program of course shows nothing, but it's pretty clear, since I had this virus before (when files load, you don't see the usual, you see an icon with a girl, but only for blink of a second)

Now, in about two weeks from now I will be in the military for 3 weeks, so this is THE ideal time to reinstall.

Now, I've used virtualization before, but never in a critical situation: 

So, here my question:
    If I install Linux on my computer, and then install Windows in a virtual machine on Linux, which runs the computer (HP, 2GHz IntelCentrino 2 64Bit QuadCore, 4GB RAM), do ODBC connections work in the virtualized Windows (without configuring them on Linux) ? And does SQL Server work as normal?

Any ideas, experiences, or links thereto ?

Friday, August 28, 2009 6:03 AM

Answers

• User-936878854 posted

The Win 7 is Vista 2.0 so there is no big difference :D I was using Norton AV, Thunderbird, Kaspersky, Avast, Nod32 (ESET), BitDefender, etc.

I think Kaspersky was the best for discovering new viruses but it can slow down machine a lot. The rest are old except BitDefender which completely slowed down my machine (i took 1 hour to startup !) so I changed it with Avast. Because of work I installed Nod 32 and so far I'm quite pleased with it.

Virtualization is great but you need enough powerful machine and must be sure that your computer can take it.  I have genuine Windows 7 and it's really pissing me off that when turn on the virtualization via Paralles on Mac it start annoying me with found new hardware, only 3 days left for activation, etc. 

Otherwise there is not so much reduction in speed when running it virtualized but it can be painful if your are working on WLAN with not stable speed. You can experience much bigger difference in working but it's not so big.

When the laptops with 4 core and more GB of RAM will be available (heat won't be problem, power consumption also, what a dreamer :D ) this won't be problem.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:09 PM

All replies

• User-936878854 posted

I sometimes run Windows 7 x64 on Mac OS X (before 7 XP) and have no problems whatsover (maybe because this is Mac, the Windows user will kill me :) ) but I don't use the Oracle. The rest is working without problems (speed will be lower of course). Note that if you run virtualized Windows and then start them in normal mode you will have a lot of Warning of reactivating the license because of the change of hardware (W7 on Parallels or via Bootcamp).

Although I suggest you to get of Vista and install Windows 7. I didn't want to have the av program but at the work there can be problems with connecting to the network...

and watch what are you oppening next time ;)

:=)

if you have more questions please ask. The Mac OS X  runs on a similar basis (UNIX) than Linux.

Monday, August 31, 2009 11:55 AM
  • User104367873 posted

1. Although I suggest you to get of Vista and install Windows 7. I didn't want to have the av program but at the work there can be problems with connecting to the network...

2. and watch what are you oppening next time ;)

1. I already have a version of Windows 7 in VirtualBox on Vista. But at the moment I have to stay with Vista.

2. Sure, all those cracks are full of viruses, that's why I always use genuine software - and an anti-virus program ;-)) 

But McAffee has never been good, another thing that I have to have. My choice would have been "avast!".

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:50 PM
  • User-936878854 posted

The Win 7 is Vista 2.0 so there is no big difference :D I was using Norton AV, Thunderbird, Kaspersky, Avast, Nod32 (ESET), BitDefender, etc.

I think Kaspersky was the best for discovering new viruses but it can slow down machine a lot. The rest are old except BitDefender which completely slowed down my machine (i took 1 hour to startup !) so I changed it with Avast. Because of work I installed Nod 32 and so far I'm quite pleased with it.

Virtualization is great but you need enough powerful machine and must be sure that your computer can take it.  I have genuine Windows 7 and it's really pissing me off that when turn on the virtualization via Paralles on Mac it start annoying me with found new hardware, only 3 days left for activation, etc. 

Otherwise there is not so much reduction in speed when running it virtualized but it can be painful if your are working on WLAN with not stable speed. You can experience much bigger difference in working but it's not so big.

When the laptops with 4 core and more GB of RAM will be available (heat won't be problem, power consumption also, what a dreamer :D ) this won't be problem.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:09 PM
  • User104367873 posted

I've had installed Windows 7, and it really isn't much different from Vista.

The only difference I noticed, apart from the UAC (which I anyway disabled), is that you can now move the running applications in the task bar, but one could do that with Gnome on Linux for years.

But unfortunately, they removed the ShowDesktop icon from the taskbar, which is very annoying.

Since it uses the same kernel as vista, it won't support more (old) hardware, and probably it also won't be more stable.

Virtualization works great on both Linux and Windows (as long as you don't use 3d accelerated software), you don't experience any performance drop (unless the host runs out of memory, which anyway never happens on a stable Linux), WLAN works great with servers and ssh when VirtualBox is switched into bridged mode.

Vista has become more stable again, because I removed the last updates, which introduced the bluescreen-orgy bug in the first place.

And Kaspersky is c**p, for the reason you stated, and because they don't really detect all viruses (even if they are very old).

Avast! ist great! I've removed McAffee and installed Avast!, and it killed the virus right on install, which was great to watch.

I'll none-the less probably install Windows virtualized with Linux, because it's just a question of time until the windows update reinstalls itself.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:11 AM
  • User-936878854 posted

:))

The "Show Desktop" in the most right corner in the taskbar. If you click it it show desktop. If you put mouse for a while it will do the same. It look like a button and it's separated by line.

I don't see anything revolutionary in new Windows. Sure you can't excpect after "fiasco" with Vista to make something new. Been using Windows since 3.1 (well was more using DOS than Windows). I don't have any major complaints against XP but I have them over my head. I still need them for work (VS, SQL sever) but otherwise for the rest (except) gaming i have Mac OS X. In more than 5 months I was forces to close only 2 applications (one was MS  Messenger for Mac and for the other was my guilt) whereas I sometimes have to close 2 apps in Windows in one day...

Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:23 AM
  • User104367873 posted

The "Show Desktop" in the most right corner in the taskbar. If you click it it show desktop. If you put mouse for a while it will do the same. It look like a button and it's separated by line.

Oh, correct, i didn't realize. I like the idea, but the new location should be better signaled.

Yea, the same here, I've not yet to had a crash on Linux at normal use, and I had it runnign for almost a month without restarting.

Only XSP (the experimental [rather pre alpha] ASP.NET server for Linux) has contributed with a few crashes of itselfs, due to my programming mistakes ;-))

It's a shame there isn't yet a decent VisualStudio replacement for Linux with working IntelliSense.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:40 PM