Any limitation on using HTML5 with javascript as compare with using C# with XAML for developing Windows store app

General discussion

• Hi,

Is there any functions or features that cannot be done or difficult to implement if to use HTML5 with javascript to develop Windows store app? 

Thanks.

Regards,

Celia Khuk

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:14 AM

All replies

• At a high level the two environments are pretty equivalent and anything you can do in one you can do in the other. Outside of the UI both can interop to the same Windows Runtime Components for back-end code.

--Rob

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:47 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

For cross-platform development, can the HTML5 with javascript be use for development of mobile applications for Windows, iOS and Android?  Is it neccessary to use WinJS for accessing Windows Runtime Components?

Thanks.

Regards,

Celia Khuk

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:47 AM
  • You have to use WinJS for all of the built-in APIs, so none of that is really cross-platform. Only your specific business logic and application code could effectively be cross platform, if you write it in the proper way.

To answer your original question, there are no fundamental limitations of a HTML/JS app over a C# one. However, it is my observation that the C# community is larger and you might find more help/samples with that project type. I've also run into several 3rd party companies that have a Windows Store client library/component and they only provided a .NET dll and only had c# documentation.  This means if you had a Javascript app you'd be out of luck.  This is unfortunate, and I hope eventually everyone will provide both C# and JS implementations of their various SDKs, but for the many companies out there just entering the Windows Platform, they all tend to pick C# first, and JS is an after thought.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:00 PM