MS Excel data import tab- Performance RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a clue or sample code of how data import framework is layed out under "Data" tab of MS- Excel (2010).

The reason why i ask is because when I connect to a view /table and download the data using this is downloads 700 k records in less than a min while my c# code takes about 9 mins which is a over kill.

Thanks,

s

• Edited by StSingh Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi StSingh,

you had asked,"I was wondering if anyone has a clue or sample code of how data import framework is layed out under "Data" tab of MS- Excel (2010)."

I am afraid, no one knows exactly about this information correctly. Microsoft will not provide any details how it's imports data and what logic it implies actually.

it will only provide the general information like it depends upon the which type of connection you used to import data and how much data you are trying to import, etc.

see what Microsoft documentation says about it.

• The data may be stored directly in the workbook, or it may be stored in an external data source, such as a text file, a database, or an Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) cube. This external data source is connected to the workbook through a data connection, which is a set of information that describes how to locate, log in to, and access the external data source.
    • The main benefit of connecting to external data is that you can periodically analyze this data without repeatedly copying the data to your workbook, which is an operation that can be time consuming and prone to error. After connecting to external data, you can also automatically refresh (or update) your Excel workbooks from the original data source whenever the data source is updated with new information.

there is a detailed description is available on link below you can try to refer to get some more details.

Overview of connecting to (importing) data

so it takes care about many things that can affect the performance and it is possible that you are not taking care of this small things in your code that increase the execution time for importing the data with your code.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 2:33 AM

All replies

• Hi StSingh,

What do you want to do?
    I guess it is to make your C# code better in order to shorten execution time.
    Is this correct? If so, provide your code.
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:46 AM
  • Hi StSingh,

you had asked,"I was wondering if anyone has a clue or sample code of how data import framework is layed out under "Data" tab of MS- Excel (2010)."

I am afraid, no one knows exactly about this information correctly. Microsoft will not provide any details how it's imports data and what logic it implies actually.

it will only provide the general information like it depends upon the which type of connection you used to import data and how much data you are trying to import, etc.

see what Microsoft documentation says about it.

• The data may be stored directly in the workbook, or it may be stored in an external data source, such as a text file, a database, or an Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) cube. This external data source is connected to the workbook through a data connection, which is a set of information that describes how to locate, log in to, and access the external data source.
    • The main benefit of connecting to external data is that you can periodically analyze this data without repeatedly copying the data to your workbook, which is an operation that can be time consuming and prone to error. After connecting to external data, you can also automatically refresh (or update) your Excel workbooks from the original data source whenever the data source is updated with new information.

there is a detailed description is available on link below you can try to refer to get some more details.

Overview of connecting to (importing) data

so it takes care about many things that can affect the performance and it is possible that you are not taking care of this small things in your code that increase the execution time for importing the data with your code.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Very helpful... thanks Deepak.
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Thanks Ashidacchi.
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:45 PM