Caluclated Column as a site Column(?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 3 site columns that are made up of choice data.  I am trying to create a fourth column that is a calculated column that references these 3 site columns.  I am getting an error from sharepoint that is telling me the 3 columns used in the formula do not exist.

The formula refers to a column that does not exist.

Does anyone know why this is or if there is a way to get around this issue?

Sincerely,

Tim

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:14 PM

Answers

• By default, you cannot reference lookup fields in a formula.

Check out this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/467978fd-5db2-4af0-b4fc-d18e87316473

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:58 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hello,

I have apparently found a solution:  to enclose the column names in brackets.  Do not remove the paranthesis though.  So if the formula is:

=IF(LEN(Month)=0,CONCATENATE(Year,"-",Quarter),IF(LEN(Quarter)=0,CONCATENATE(Year,"-",Month)))

You will want to modify the statement as such:

=IF(LEN([Month])=0,CONCATENATE([Year],"-",[Quarter]),IF(LEN([Quarter])=0,CONCATENATE([Year],"-",[Month])))

The only issue I noticed from the above is that if I go back into the column to edit teh formula, the brackets have been removed by SharePoint.  If I cancel out, the column still functions as designed.  It's just troublesome that the brackets are being removed.

Sincerely,

Tim

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:38 AM line removed prior to lock
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:39 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:02 PM

All replies

• By default, you cannot reference lookup fields in a formula.

Check out this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/467978fd-5db2-4af0-b4fc-d18e87316473

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hello,

I have apparently found a solution:  to enclose the column names in brackets.  Do not remove the paranthesis though.  So if the formula is:

=IF(LEN(Month)=0,CONCATENATE(Year,"-",Quarter),IF(LEN(Quarter)=0,CONCATENATE(Year,"-",Month)))

You will want to modify the statement as such:

=IF(LEN([Month])=0,CONCATENATE([Year],"-",[Quarter]),IF(LEN([Quarter])=0,CONCATENATE([Year],"-",[Month])))

The only issue I noticed from the above is that if I go back into the column to edit teh formula, the brackets have been removed by SharePoint.  If I cancel out, the column still functions as designed.  It's just troublesome that the brackets are being removed.

Sincerely,

Tim

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:38 AM line removed prior to lock
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:39 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Tim,

I am sorry, I wrongly assumed you were trying to use lookup fields in your calculated column.

I have always found that double-clicking on the available fields to the right of the forumula box is the best way to add fields to the formula.

• Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:39 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:16 PM
  • I am getting this same problem of the brackets disappearing in the forumula entry box.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 8:28 PM