Sharepoint Outlook synchronization with a dedicated column of type "choice" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In my organization, we are using a variety of contact lists spread into different Outlook contacts folders and different excel contacts lists. A single contact can sometimes be recorded several times in different lists.

I would like to merge all these contacts lists into one single list in Sharepoint. To achieve that, I have exported the different contacts lists into a single excel file and then imported that excel file into Sharepoint.

Our contacts can belong to one or to several groups, let's say groups A, B and C.In order to keep track of that group's membership, I've created a new column called "Group" in my Sharepoint contacts list. This new field is of type "Choice" with predefined values A, B and C. When creating a new contact in Sharepoint, the user can select one or more value among the predefined list by checking the corresponding checkbox(es).

As soon as I connect to Outlook, that extra column is lost. This can be solved by adding a column from existing site columns instead of creating a new column. I've used the "Categories" column to record the group's membership (A, B or C) but this field is of type "single line of text" and I cannot use anymore a list of predefined values (A, B or C) as it is the case with a "choice" type field.

The next step is to eliminate the duplicates contact addresses while keeping track of the different groups they belong to (A, B and/or C).

If any member of my organization wants now to send an email to one or to several groups among A, B and C, he will have just to filter the contacts list according to his target(s) recipients

My questions are:

• How can he send such email from Sharepoint or does he have to use Outlook instead?
    • Is there any site column of type "choice" (with predefined values) I could use to record the group's membership (A, B or C) and that can be synchronized between Sharepoint and Outlook?
    • Is there any more efficient approach to build that central contacts list?
    Thanks in advance for your advices.

Monday, September 30, 2013 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Aries,

I think that JungleMail (by Enovapoint) would perfectly fit to my needs. Would you have by chance any experience or any feedback about that Sharepoint add-on?

Regards,

Luc

• Proposed as answer by Aries - MSFT Friday, October 4, 2013 8:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, October 7, 2013 12:48 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 8:46 AM

All replies