How to sign windows store app

Question

•  I am getting the following error message from Windows certification kit:

Including private code signing keys in the package violates the Windows Store certification requirements.

How do I resolve this error?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:17 AM

All replies

• You don't sign the app to upload to the store. You only need to sign the app if you are side-loading it. Store distributed apps are signed by the store.

--Rob

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:30 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your reply. 

The problem is if I remove the .pfx file from my project. The project wont compile. It says private key missing. If I include it and create app package for store then certification kit fails saying you cannot have private key. So I am stuck. 

Now I am getting an error every time I run the certification process on my local machine. 

"Validation failed. Please see windows App Certification Kit log files at c:\users\<name>\appdata\local\microsoft\AppCertKit for further details."

But there is no such file/folder (AppCertKit) on my machine. At this point I really don't know how to proceed. Can someone help please?

-Atul

• Edited by aahuja19766 Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:20 AM
  • I have built a Windows 8.1 app for tablets using WinJS. I had to put a developer certificate/private key (.pfk) file in the application build it. Now I want to upload the app to the Windows store (it is an appx package). When i run my app through the certification kit, it tells me you cannot have a private key in your app. I have 2 questions:

1. Do I need to have any certificate attached to my app for uploading it to Windows Store?

2. If yes, how do I swap the developer certificate/private key with something else? 

3. If not, how do I remove the private key and developer certificate from my app?

Please provide specific instructions/process. Thank you in advance.  

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:40 PM
  • I'm blocked by the same issue - I can't build without a PFX that includes the private key, but I can't certify because there's a private key in my app.

How are we supposed to resolve this catch-22?

"Don't sign the app" is not helpful - a walkthrough of whatever UI exists to accomplish that (be it GUI or command line) would be very helpful.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:10 AM
  • There is no UI or walkthrough for "don't do that".

If you create a new project and build it normally without adding any private keys, etc. then it should work. If you've added something to that process then you'll need to remove it, but since you haven't told us what you've done we don't know how to reverse that.

As a guess try removing the pfx file and build clean. If you need more help then you'll need to provide a clearer description of what you're doing and where and how it's failing.

Friday, December 19, 2014 1:23 AM
    Owner