The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

While setting up an virtual machine, If we choose Availability Zone in Availability Options. I wanted to ask what are those nos 1,2,3 present in Availability zones dropdown, what is the meaning and purpose of those nos? RRS feed

• Question

• While setting up an virtual machine, If we choose Availability Zone in Availability Options. I wanted to ask what are those nos 1,2,3 present in Availability zones dropdown, what is the meaning and purpose of those nos? Does this mean the no of replication of the VM's which we are creating?

What if I choose 3 in Availability Zone and Location is Central US?

And what if I choose none in Availability Options?

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 11:49 AM

All replies

• I would suggest reviewing the following to get a better understanding of Availability zones and availability sets 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/availability-zones/az-overview

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/manage-availability

I don't fully understand your question but take a look at the links and let me know if I can clarify anything. 

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have gone through these links, I got little understanding but not sure what exactly the no. in Availability zone 1,2,3 means?

I have attached an screenshot for your understanding. I have marked those no. 1,2,3?

Could you please elaborate on those like what these no.'s means? 
    Is this an availability zone no.'s or it is the replication factor which we want to do for our VM?

Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:41 AM
  • An Azure Data Center with an Availability Zone option means that there are essentially 3 separate data centers in that region. Each center has its own power source and fail over procedures. 

So this means you can deploy VMs to say zone 1, 2 and 3. Then if for any reason one of those zones lost power the other 2 zones would remain active and you would not lose access to your VM. 

So they layout is like so

• Proposed as answer by Vinoth Darwin Friday, January 11, 2019 3:50 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:36 PM