Device Metadata for Metro deviceapps

Question

• I have several questions on metadata creation and submission.

1. When creating device metadata for Windows 8 device apps using Metadata Authoring tool, what metadata style should we use?  Windows 7 style or Windows 8 Package?

2. Why is that when we use Windows 8 Package style with several locales and submitted the metadata on SysDev Dashboard, we get the following error - "Multilocale element in PackageInfo.xml and LocaleInfo.xml do not match."?  It seems the metadata authoring tool did not create all the info needed in the package.  Is this going to be fix?

3.  We currently have devicemetadata for Windows 7 Device Experience.   We are planning to submit devicemetadata for Windows 8 device apps.  Can these two co-exists?

eme

Friday, October 19, 2012 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hello

Below are the answers to the questions.

1. We recommend you to use the Windows 8 style (multiple locale) metadata package unless you have below concerns.

- You want to display each laungage in Devices and Printers.

- You have geopolitical issue to include given language information in a file that will be released to specific country. (E.g. Country A language characters should not be released to country B for example.)

Background informaiton

basically, the windows 8 style (multiple locale) device metadata package works both on Windows 8 and Windows 7. In special, the Device stage part works perfectly works both on 7 and 8. The one problem to use the windows 8 style is the Devices and Printers display only default language in Windows 7. (the DeviceInfo.xml file that exists at the top layer of the folder.) The other languages are not used in Windows 7.

3. it can co-exist in WMIS. Windows 8 device metadata package will always win. So Windows 7 device metadata package will not be used. So my recommendation is to update the windows 7 metadata package with using the metadata authoring tool so that your Windows 8 package will have both Win7 information (Device Stage) and windows 8 information (WSDA).  

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Program Manager in Microsoft

Mitsuru Saito

Friday, November 02, 2012 7:25 AM

All replies

• I've remedied 2.  Can you give me answer on 1 and 3?

eme

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Hi Edwni E,

How did you fix issue 2?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:17 AM
  • Hi SHSAMS,

Basically what I did is to create a device manifest that has LocaleInfo.xml and the device metadata.  The devicemanifest creation is straightforward except it has to be done manually.  See link for devicemanifest creation

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh801889.aspx

eme

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:24 PM
  • re: 1) Windows 7 only supported sinlge-locale metadata while win 8 supports multi-locale metadata.  As I understand it the plan was to backport multi-locale support to win7 in time for the win8 release so win8 multi-locale metadata would also work with win7.  Which may answer (3).
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Hello

Below are the answers to the questions.

1. We recommend you to use the Windows 8 style (multiple locale) metadata package unless you have below concerns.

- You want to display each laungage in Devices and Printers.

- You have geopolitical issue to include given language information in a file that will be released to specific country. (E.g. Country A language characters should not be released to country B for example.)

Background informaiton

basically, the windows 8 style (multiple locale) device metadata package works both on Windows 8 and Windows 7. In special, the Device stage part works perfectly works both on 7 and 8. The one problem to use the windows 8 style is the Devices and Printers display only default language in Windows 7. (the DeviceInfo.xml file that exists at the top layer of the folder.) The other languages are not used in Windows 7.

3. it can co-exist in WMIS. Windows 8 device metadata package will always win. So Windows 7 device metadata package will not be used. So my recommendation is to update the windows 7 metadata package with using the metadata authoring tool so that your Windows 8 package will have both Win7 information (Device Stage) and windows 8 information (WSDA).  

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Program Manager in Microsoft

Mitsuru Saito

Friday, November 02, 2012 7:25 AM