none
Alternate methods to retrieve a room's availability RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently using the AddressEntry.GetFreeBusy method to determine if a conference room is available.  Unfortunately this can take a second or 2 to return data, and is only compounded when I need to check multiple conference rooms.  It works fine and returns the data I need, however it is quite slow. 

My Code:
    string RoomAvailability = room.GetFreeBusy(StartTime,30, false);

I'm wondering if there are any other methods out there to retrieve a room's availability, perhaps using the PropertyAccessor object?  Or does it look like I could use the GetFreeBusy method in a different way to get results quicker?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• you could use EWS for this which has nice property of working from background thread - it will not be quickier but you could display in main ui thread some infinite progress control with message, etc.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Thanks Damian.  I tried using EWS but it didn't speed anything up so I went back to the (also slow) GetFreeBusy method.  The EWS progress indicator is a nice touch but isn't necessary in my situation. 
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:50 PM
  • try to determine where most time is spent - pushing huge load of data through network or actually querying data on exchange and maybe try to improve that (query smaller chunks of data or buy better hardware). Otherwise caching is the only option to speed up.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:53 AM
  • If you don't need synchronous results and you can use Redemption (www.dimastr.com/redemption), you can use its methods to get free/busy in a background thread.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"RyanSTV" <=?utf-8?B?UnlhblNUVg==?=> wrote in message news:cd554047-5559-49dc-a413-a44359c969bb...
    Thanks Damian.  I tried using EWS but it didn't speed anything up so I went back to the (also slow) GetFreeBusy method.  The EWS progress indicator is a nice touch but isn't necessary in my situation. 

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:53 PM