Hi folks,

The choices available for exchanging data are many, and therefore unclear:

• Web Service
    • WCF Service
    • WCF Data Service
    • AJAX-enabled WCF Service
    • Web API
    • SignalR

For instance, WCF Service amd WCF Data Service sound about the same, yet there must be some distinction.

I know Web Services are relatively old and do not have extensive securoty features (as I've used them in the past). So, I'm not so concerned about it specifically; moreso the other techniques.

Can anybody share a quick comparision on when it is best to use one over the other?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:25 AM

Answers

• User-1000095884 posted

Hi,

What about the others I listed such as AJAX enabled Web Services ... is it obselete, or superseded?

Ajax enabled service is a service that can be called from ajax client side script, it is not obseleted or superseded. You can find a thread here talks on difference between "AJAX enabled Web Services" and "WCF Service".

For instance, WCF Service amd WCF Data Service sound about the same, yet there must be some distinction.

WCF Data Service formerly called ADO.NET Data Services, it focused on providing new client and server side features for data service developers including improved Data Binding, Projections, Server Driven Paging, Count and Enhanced Blob support as well as many other improvements. WCF Service is just our regular Windows Communication Foundation which is a part of the .NET Framework that provides a unified programming model for rapidly building service-oriented applications that communicate across the web and the enterprise. For more, you can check this thread that demonstrate the difference between these two service.

<!--EndFragment--><!--EndFragment-->ASP.NET SignalR is a new library for ASP.NET developers that makes it incredibly simple to add real-time web functionality to your applications. For more information, you can refer: What is ASP.NET SignalR.

Best Regards.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:00 AM

All replies

• User-425639139 posted

It acutally depends on where and how you want to consume your service, the following article may give you some lights:

http://mattmilner.com/Milner/Blog/post/2012/02/28/WebAPI-or-WCF.aspx

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:14 AM
  • User1064403333 posted

Thank you, that was a very useful comparision between WCF and Web API.

What about the others I listed such as AJAX enabled Web Services ... is it obselete, or superseded?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:18 PM
  • User-1000095884 posted

Hi,

Ajax enabled service is a service that can be called from ajax client side script, it is not obseleted or superseded. You can find a thread here talks on difference between "AJAX enabled Web Services" and "WCF Service".

For instance, WCF Service amd WCF Data Service sound about the same, yet there must be some distinction.

WCF Data Service formerly called ADO.NET Data Services, it focused on providing new client and server side features for data service developers including improved Data Binding, Projections, Server Driven Paging, Count and Enhanced Blob support as well as many other improvements. WCF Service is just our regular Windows Communication Foundation which is a part of the .NET Framework that provides a unified programming model for rapidly building service-oriented applications that communicate across the web and the enterprise. For more, you can check this thread that demonstrate the difference between these two service.

<!--EndFragment--><!--EndFragment-->ASP.NET SignalR is a new library for ASP.NET developers that makes it incredibly simple to add real-time web functionality to your applications. For more information, you can refer: What is ASP.NET SignalR.

Best Regards.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:00 AM
  • User1064403333 posted

Thanks so much Haixia. That was very clear.

It seems AJAX enabled Web Services and WCF Data Services achieve the same thing when it comes to clients pulling JSON data using JavaScript or jQuery.

One last question on this post, is there any major differences between AJAX enabled Web Services and WCF Data Services?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:16 AM
  • User-425639139 posted

you may want to refer the following article for some indepth understanding:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/139787/What-s-the-Difference-between-WCF-and-Web-Services

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:55 AM
  • User-1000095884 posted

Hi,

AJAX enabled Web Services and WCF Data Services are different, AJAX enabled Web Services is a WCF service, the 'AJAX-enabled WCF Service' Template in Visual Studio make it easier to create an AJAX-enabled WCF service. WCF Data Service formerly called ADO.NET Data Services as I mentioned above, it enables the creation and consumption of OData services for the web.

To get more information, see #WCF Data Services

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668792.aspx

If you have more questions on WCF Data Services, you can post here.

Best Regards.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:02 AM