css adapters ok on sharepoint desinger? RRS feed

• Question

• User-939752170 posted

Hi,

Im new to these css adapters. Was wondering if I can implement them on sharepoint designer or just VS?

I am trying to manipulate the ASPMenu or TreeView control, to remove the flyout capability, and add styling to the ul.

Do you recommend I use css adapters? Any thoughts on this would greatly help. Thanks!

Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:13 PM

Answers

• User-656867934 posted

What I usually do is create a cusom asp:Menu control, so I can override just that control (and not the menu's on the system pages). What is the error you are getting? As long as you drop in the DLL and the .browser file it should override every menu on the sharepoint site (Including on the system pages, i.e. Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Modify All Site Settings - The menu should be messed up on this page if you install the unmodified DLL and .browser files).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:55 AM
  • User-656867934 posted

Well the first thing you are going to want to do is get the adapters working, to do that you do not need to do anything in SPD. You will want to download the latest DLL, put it in the GAC on your MOSS box, then put the .browser file in your App_Browsers directory (which you will probably need to create, it will be something like this: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\MyWebSite\App_Browsers\).

Once it is working you should see the difference right away when you browse to the site.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:47 AM

All replies

• User-656867934 posted

I have used the CSS Menu Adapter on my master pages for my SharePoint sites, and it works well. I strongly recommend using it over the standard SharePoint menu control.

Friday, April 4, 2008 3:37 PM
  • User-939752170 posted

great, how do I use it? Is there any extra implementation to it? I know just copying the code to sharepoint designer as below doesnt work:

<asp:Menu ID="Menu1"

runat="server"

Orientation="Horizontal"

CssSelectorClass="PrettyMenu"

EnableViewState="false"

DataSourceID="SiteMapDataSource1">

</asp:Menu>

<asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="SiteMapDataSource1"

ShowStartingNode="false"

runat="server" />

Friday, April 4, 2008 4:15 PM
  • User-656867934 posted

What I usually do is create a cusom asp:Menu control, so I can override just that control (and not the menu's on the system pages). What is the error you are getting? As long as you drop in the DLL and the .browser file it should override every menu on the sharepoint site (Including on the system pages, i.e. Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Modify All Site Settings - The menu should be messed up on this page if you install the unmodified DLL and .browser files).

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:55 AM
  • User-939752170 posted

im not sure how u create a custom control by using the syntax I wrote above? do u have any detailed instructions on this? im new to it. thanks.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:28 PM
  • User-656867934 posted

Well the first thing you are going to want to do is get the adapters working, to do that you do not need to do anything in SPD. You will want to download the latest DLL, put it in the GAC on your MOSS box, then put the .browser file in your App_Browsers directory (which you will probably need to create, it will be something like this: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\MyWebSite\App_Browsers\).

Once it is working you should see the difference right away when you browse to the site.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:47 AM