The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing a Winforms application but now when I try to set a breakpoint it has this white dot in the middle of it and it says "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document." The solution is set to debug, I tried switching from pdb only to full and back. I've tried deleting the pdb file and rebuilding the solution. Nothing will work. Can anyone help with this?

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks for Pavel A's help.

Hi Fedaykin5,

What is the "View Now&..." in your side? Like Pavel's suggestion, is it your Winform app?

Generally the project's pdf and the .exe files are in the bin\debug folder in your project default path, so you would check that whether you could get these files in your project bin\debug folder. Or your output path has been changed under your project property.

Best Regards,

Jack 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Jack thank you for your reply about the build path. It made me start thinking about the output and sure enough this was an issue caused by a 3rd party obfuscator program that had encrypted the .pdb file. Once I re-ran the obfuscator with the proper setting to decrypt the .pdb files everything works perfectly. Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi 

Is it with only application or all winforms project?

if possible share your project files or else replicate in one sample project.

Thanks & Regards
    Syed Amjad Sr. Silverlight/WPF Developer,
    yahoo : syedamjad6736@yahoo.com, skype : syedamjad.0786.
    Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Saturday, June 6, 2015 3:47 PM
  • It is only in one project file. My other project files will debug just fine. I tried completely deleting .pdb files in both Obj and Bin folders, and then I tried completely deleting the Obj folder and the bin folder and rebuilding the application. When that didn't work, I tried removing all the dlls from the Reference tab and saving the application, then adding them back one at a time and rebuilding. Had to go through every form in the application and re-import the necessary imports. Nothing works! I don't understand why this is such and un-recoverable bug. I cannot duplicate the error in another project.
    Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Hi Fedaykin5,

>>The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document.

After the breakpoint was hit(it has this white dot in the middle of it), could you open the Debugger modules window? Generally it would share you the information about which symbols not loaded.

Tools->Options->Debugging->Symbols, please enable the "Microsoft Symbol Servers".

Reference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2155930/fixing-the-breakpoint-will-not-currently-be-hit-no-symbols-have-been-loaded-fo

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/9ef509f4-62fc-40c8-8f6f-71cd18a426ce/the-breakpoint-will-not-be-hit-no-symbols-have-been-loaded-for-this-document-missing-pdb-files?forum=vsdebug

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:03 AM
  • Hi Jack, thank you for the reply. Enabling Microsoft Symbol servers was one of the first things that I tried. This really is a nasty bug, I cannot seem to do anything to shake it loose. It makes it impossible to any more development on this application. They really need to release a patch/fix for this. 
    Monday, June 8, 2015 9:37 PM
  • Hi Fedaykin5,

The real issue is that which symbol generated this issue, enable the Microsoft Symbol servers, it would download the symbol to your local folder, but the real issue is that whether it is related to the symbol servers or your references, do you refer to third party dll file or the VC++ dll file in your C# WinForm app?

Open your debug modules window, could you tell us which dll/assembly generated this issue?

If your project added the VC++ DLL file, in order to be able to debug your C++ dll, you need to make sure Unmanaged debugging("Enable native code debugging") is turned on in your C# winform app's Project Properties ->Debug page.

Please also make sure that it is not the platform target issue(Any CPU/X86/X64).

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Enabling Native Code Debugging didn't work. Here are the symbols that are not loading. I must stress though that I can right click these and load them or turn on Microsoft Symbol Servers and they will load, but then they just revert back to this condition:

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for Pavel A's help.

Hi Fedaykin5,

What is the "View Now&..." in your side? Like Pavel's suggestion, is it your Winform app?

Generally the project's pdf and the .exe files are in the bin\debug folder in your project default path, so you would check that whether you could get these files in your project bin\debug folder. Or your output path has been changed under your project property.

Best Regards,

Jack 

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Jack thank you for your reply about the build path. It made me start thinking about the output and sure enough this was an issue caused by a 3rd party obfuscator program that had encrypted the .pdb file. Once I re-ran the obfuscator with the proper setting to decrypt the .pdb files everything works perfectly. Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:43 PM