New and edit maintenance plan RRS feed

• Question

• Good day.

I can create new maintenance plans with the wizard, but, after, I can't edit or create new ones.
    I use the contex menu, options 'Modify' and 'New maintenance plan'.
    After the click, nothing happen. Someone knows the reason ?
    Thank you.

My environment:
    Sql server 2008, sp1, Vs2010 RC, fresh install on Windows server 2008 VM

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:25 PM

Answers

• Please try uninstalling/reinstalling the Management Tools:
    Go to Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall a program, select SQL Server 2008, click Uninstall/Change, click Remove on the pop-up window, follow the wizard to go to the step "Select Features" and check "Management Tools-Basic" and "Management Tools-Complete" and click Next to uninstall it.

To re-install the tool, you can still click Uninstall/Change, but click Add on the pop-up window, then follow the setup wizard to add the features.

If this issue persists, I think that this issue is probably related to VS2010 RC which is not a RTM version and may cause some conflicts with existing VS2008 components which are used by SSMS. To help isolate this issue, please try uninstalling VS2010 RC and see if it helps. 

Best regards,
    Charles Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Marked as answer by Paolo Friday, February 19, 2010 6:30 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:09 AM

All replies

• What is the error you are getting while editing maintenance plan?
    Do you installed Integration services?
    Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:15 PM
  • No errors at all. Only click on the two links 'Modify' and 'New maintenance plan' and nothing happen.
    I have makes a basic sql server 2008 install for use it with Tfs 2010.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:36 AM
  • This is weird :(
    Do you have integration service installed in your machine?
    Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Please try uninstalling/reinstalling the Management Tools:
    Go to Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall a program, select SQL Server 2008, click Uninstall/Change, click Remove on the pop-up window, follow the wizard to go to the step "Select Features" and check "Management Tools-Basic" and "Management Tools-Complete" and click Next to uninstall it.

To re-install the tool, you can still click Uninstall/Change, but click Add on the pop-up window, then follow the setup wizard to add the features.

If this issue persists, I think that this issue is probably related to VS2010 RC which is not a RTM version and may cause some conflicts with existing VS2008 components which are used by SSMS. To help isolate this issue, please try uninstalling VS2010 RC and see if it helps. 

Best regards,
    Charles Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Marked as answer by Paolo Friday, February 19, 2010 6:30 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:09 AM
  • I've folow your instruction, uninstall 'Management tools basic' and after reinstall 'Management tools basic' and now everything work like expected.

Lesson learned 1: Vs2010 RC or TFS 2010 or Sql Server 2008 Sp1 has gived me the problem.
    Lesson learned 2: after many years of sw development, when a problem is fixed, be pragmatic and continue with another thing. Don't try  to understand the reason why now is fixed ... you will waste your time. After a lot of days, another sp, software, driver or everything else will give the same problem !

Thank you very much, Charles.

Friday, February 19, 2010 6:30 AM
  • I have the same problem that Paolo had, 'Modify' and 'New maintenance plan' does nothing when click, but I can start the maintenance plan wizard.

This is a new install of SQL Server 2008 R2 Web Edition(so no intergration services). Uninstall and reinstall of Management Tools Basic or Complete did not help.

Strangely I am able to connect to the 2008 R2 server using a 2008 SSMS console and CAN modify the maintenance plan. The R2 SSMS console did not work on the server or from another workstation.

Friday, June 4, 2010 8:27 PM