none
Enterprise SSO without BizTalk? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone use Enterprise SSO without BizTalk? I have used SSO to store data and would like to continue to use this functionality without BizTalk. This MS link suggests it is possible: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa705166(v=bts.10).aspx

I had to use the BizTalk 2013 ISO to install SSO via SSO64\Setup.* which installed without errors but the service wasn't created and I get errors such as below:

Could not contact the SSO server 'SSODB'. Check that SSO is
    configured and that the SSO service is running on that server.

Shawn (Mail@ShawnAugust.Com)

• Moved by Caillen Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:29 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 4:15 PM

Answers

• Run ISO file and choose to install the SSO from it under Additional Software node. Choose "Enterprise Single Sign-On Administration Module" and "Enterprise Single Sign-On Master Secret Server". This option installs the required service and tools for SSO. Using this option enables you to install softwares for administering, managing, and connecting to SSO Servers. This is the correct way, nit running the SSO64//setup.exe.

And then use the configuration wizard and just configure the Enterprise SSO

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you can use Enterprise SSO without BizTalk as suggested by the link that you have provided. Think of ESSO as an configuration data store in which you can store data in key value pairs. You can access this data using out of box class provided by Microsoft. Below is the helper method that can be used to get and set values from the SSO :

public class SSOClientHelper
        {
            private static string identifierGUID = "ConfigProperties";

public static string Read(string appName, string propName)
            {
                try
                {
                    SSOConfigStore ssoStore = new SSOConfigStore();
                    SSOHelper helper = new SSOHelper();

((ISSOConfigStore)ssoStore).GetConfigInfo(appName, identifierGUID, SSOFlag.SSO_FLAG_RUNTIME,(IPropertyBag)helper);
                    object propertyValue = null;
                    helper.Read(propName, out propertyValue, 0);
                    return (string) (propertyValue);

}
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine(e.Message);
                    throw;
                }
            }

To furthur clarify ESSO when used with BizTalk, it bascially stores the sensetive data related to adapter and ports. Please see below link for usage of ESSO with BizTalk.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1772663/whats-enterprise-sso-for-in-biztalk-server

The error that you are getting seems to be an installation issue. Check that you ESSO is configured in BizTalk 2013 configuration.

Please indicate "Mark as Answer" or "Mark as Helpful" if this post has answered the question

Regards,

Rahul Madaan

biztalkvillage.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:56 AM
  • Hello,

Why have'nt you tried with BizTalk setup file to Configure SSO Service and SSO DB ?

Try deleting you exisiting SSO DB and configure SSO from BizTalk setup .

Thanks

Abhishek

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:20 AM
  • Run ISO file and choose to install the SSO from it under Additional Software node. Choose "Enterprise Single Sign-On Administration Module" and "Enterprise Single Sign-On Master Secret Server". This option installs the required service and tools for SSO. Using this option enables you to install softwares for administering, managing, and connecting to SSO Servers. This is the correct way, nit running the SSO64//setup.exe.

And then use the configuration wizard and just configure the Enterprise SSO

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:57 AM
  • Same as my above post :

You need to run the BizTalk Installation setup instead of SSO64\Setup file.

What you need to do is to delete the SSODb created by SSO64\Setup file and run the BizTalk setup and

select the additional software (SSO in your case )which need to be installed .

Once its been installed ,go ahead with BizTalk configuration wizard to configure your SSO DB and service .

Thanks

Abhishek

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Yes you can use Enterprise SSO without BizTalk as suggested by the link that you have provided. Think of ESSO as an configuration data store in which you can store data in key value pairs. You can access this data using out of box class provided by Microsoft. Below is the helper method that can be used to get and set values from the SSO :

public class SSOClientHelper
        {
            private static string identifierGUID = "ConfigProperties";

public static string Read(string appName, string propName)
            {
                try
                {
                    SSOConfigStore ssoStore = new SSOConfigStore();
                    SSOHelper helper = new SSOHelper();

((ISSOConfigStore)ssoStore).GetConfigInfo(appName, identifierGUID, SSOFlag.SSO_FLAG_RUNTIME,(IPropertyBag)helper);
                    object propertyValue = null;
                    helper.Read(propName, out propertyValue, 0);
                    return (string) (propertyValue);

}
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine(e.Message);
                    throw;
                }
            }

To furthur clarify ESSO when used with BizTalk, it bascially stores the sensetive data related to adapter and ports. Please see below link for usage of ESSO with BizTalk.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1772663/whats-enterprise-sso-for-in-biztalk-server

The error that you are getting seems to be an installation issue. Check that you ESSO is configured in BizTalk 2013 configuration.

Please indicate "Mark as Answer" or "Mark as Helpful" if this post has answered the question

Regards,

Rahul Madaan

biztalkvillage.blogspot.com

Thanks. I already have a .NET class to retrieve the values from the SSODB. My issue is the error in my original post.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Hello,

Why have'nt you tried with BizTalk setup file to Configure SSO Service and SSO DB ?

Try deleting you exisiting SSO DB and configure SSO from BizTalk setup .

Thanks

Abhishek

I did. Did you not read my initial thread?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Hi ,

As per my above post you need to work with BizTalk setup file and not with SSO64\Setup file .

You need to follow below steps:

1) Run the BizTalk setup and and choose to install the SSO from which is  under Additional Software node.

2)Check in the Enterprise Single Sign-On Administration  and "Enterprise Single Sign-On Master Secret Server while you install the BizTalk setup.

3) Once done you can go ahead with BizTalk configuration wizard to configure SSO service and SSO DB .

Note : You need to have SSO groups(sso administrators group,SSO Affiliate Administrator) created on AD if SQL and App Server on different machine.

Thanks

Abhishek

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Thanks all. I am going to re-try the BizTalk Installation setup rather than the SSO64/Setup file as suggested. After installation, should I have a SSO Window Service?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:41 PM
  • This link about the Administration component of ESSO, not about the whole ESSO service.

The BizTalk license is clearly limit the packages inside BizTalk (including ESSO) by using them only with BizTalk license. So to use ESSO you have to buy BizTalk Server. Seems an excessive price for such small service. Do you really want to do this? 

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP]

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:59 PM
  • This link about the Administration component of ESSO, not about the whole ESSO service.

The BizTalk license is clearly limit the packages inside BizTalk (including ESSO) by using them only with BizTalk license. So to use ESSO you have to buy BizTalk Server. Seems an excessive price for such small service. Do you really want to do this? 

Do I need to buy/install BizTalk server to store data within the SSODB?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:04 AM

Yes. :( 

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:10 AM

Yes. :( 

Argh. That's why the ISO installed BizTalk even when I only selected SSO. I guess I need a new solution to store configuration data. It is probably easier just writing something custom into SQL Server. I *HATE* configuration files and ApplicationSetting XML blocks.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:51 PM
  • If you are dealing with only Key value pair for the application . I would suggest to store in custom SQL db and have a caching mechanism with C# to retrive the value instead of using SSO just for a repository .

Thanks

Abhishek

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:18 PM
  • There are tons of the OSS configuration packages for all existed requirements. HA, security, simplicity, etc. etc, just go to Github :)

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:18 PM
  • If you are dealing with only Key value pair for the application . I would suggest to store in custom SQL db and have a caching mechanism with C# to retrive the value instead of using SSO just for a repository .

Thanks

Abhishek

That's what I was thinking. Thanks all.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:44 PM

Thanks

Abhishek

That's what I was thinking. Thanks all.

Once i implemented similar thing for one application and following post by Sarvana was vesy useful.

Implement Caching for your BizTalk applications using "static" classes and methods.

Have a look .Hope this helps.

Greetings,HTH
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:49 PM