Will the Pro and Enterprise Visual Studio 2015 editions require an active MSDN subscription? (via twitter) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi... I mentioned content of an email I received on twitter, and @msdn asked me to post the question here.

The email subject was "Visual Studio updates, Windows 10 IoT Core news,  the BUILD Tour and more!", and was from "Microsoft BizSpark <Microsoft@e-mail.microsoft.com>". I received the email on 10/06/2015 at 06:03am.

I've included and highlighted the section which I found surprising, as it appears that you need an active full MSDN subscription to keep using Visual Studio 2015.

Is this definitely the case?

Visual Studio 2015

In July, Microsoft will launch a new Visual Studio 2015 product line up. The new Visual Studio is easier to use, no matter what platform you’re on, no matter what app you’re building. All BizSpark members who have an active Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN subscription will automatically get upgraded to Visual Studio Enterprise 2015. PLEASE NOTE: Current BizSpark members who complete the graduation process after 3 years in the program get to keep all the software downloaded through the program. However, Visual Studio 2015 is not a downloadable product, so BizSpark members will not be able to keep using Visual Studio 2015 after graduation unless they renew their subscription. If you have or will download Visual Studio 2013 prior to the release of Visual Studio 2015, you will be able to continue to use that version of the product after you graduate from BizSpark as long as you save the product key. You can find more information about graduation here.

Thanks in advance!

Pete Gallagher - IT Consultant - PJG Creations http://www.PJGCreations.co.uk

Saturday, June 13, 2015 4:54 PM

Answers

• Here's what I heard back from the team Peter:

We will only offer Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 through MSDN subscriptions (specifically through Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN).  For Visual Studio Professional 2015, we offer it in an MSDN subscription (Visual Studio Professional with MSDN) and standalone. 

For the standalone license, you will be able to rent Visual Studio Professional 2015 month-to-month through Visual Studio Online as of July 20, or will be able to buy it through the Microsoft Store or a Microsoft reseller starting in September. 

For BizSpark, once you graduate from the program after 3 years, you will have a special offer to renew your MSDN subscriptions at a big discount so that you can continue running Visual Studio Enterprise.  You also have the option to uninstall Visual Studio Enterprise and instead choose one of our free Visual Studio offerings at that time.

Does this answer your questions? 

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

Did Microsoft call you out of the blue about your computer? No, they didn't.

• Edited by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:07 PM formatting
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peter Gallagher Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Hey Pete!

Very sorry for the delay on this.  I've connected with a few BizSpark and Visual Studio folks and I've gotten the bottom line.  They're telling me they're working on more details for the next newsletter as well.

To you specific question about VS2015, that is correct: As a BizSpark member, you'll need to sign in to Visual Studio 2015 with the Microsoft Account you use to access your subscription in order to use it.

Visual Studio 2015 will be a product you download and install on your PC. 

Again very sorry for the delay and looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Monday, July 20, 2015 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hey Pete!

Very sorry for the delay on this.  I've connected with a few BizSpark and Visual Studio folks and I've gotten the bottom line.  They're telling me they're working on more details for the next newsletter as well.

To you specific question about VS2015, that is correct: As a BizSpark member, you'll need to sign in to Visual Studio 2015 with the Microsoft Account you use to access your subscription in order to use it.

Visual Studio 2015 will be a product you download and install on your PC. 

Again very sorry for the delay and looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Monday, July 20, 2015 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:16 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

Does this apply to any subscription? i.e. Do you need an active MSDN subscription of some sort; BizSpark, Dreamspark, MSDN Ultimate, to use the Enterprise version of Visual Studio?

If so, will VS2015 Enterprise effectively stop working when the subscription expires, and need uninstalling, with the community version installing in it's place?

Going further, I'm curious how this will work if the product is purchased without an MSDN subscription? Or will this not be an offered option?

Thanks for your input!

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:38 PM
  • Here's what I heard back from the team Peter:

We will only offer Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 through MSDN subscriptions (specifically through Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN).  For Visual Studio Professional 2015, we offer it in an MSDN subscription (Visual Studio Professional with MSDN) and standalone. 

For the standalone license, you will be able to rent Visual Studio Professional 2015 month-to-month through Visual Studio Online as of July 20, or will be able to buy it through the Microsoft Store or a Microsoft reseller starting in September. 

For BizSpark, once you graduate from the program after 3 years, you will have a special offer to renew your MSDN subscriptions at a big discount so that you can continue running Visual Studio Enterprise.  You also have the option to uninstall Visual Studio Enterprise and instead choose one of our free Visual Studio offerings at that time.

Does this answer your questions? 

Thanks,
    Mike

• Edited by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:07 PM formatting
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peter Gallagher Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me on this, much clearer now.

Do you have a rough idea of the "big discount", as it would be ideal to be able to make an informed decision as to whether I continue to invest my company in any of the features requiring the Pro or Enterprise versions, knowing  that, potentially, I'll no longer be able to use them once I graduate the program.

Will it simply be similar to the standard renewal rates shown online, at roughly half of the First Year rate?

Thanks again!

Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:13 AM
  • Pete,

I don't know if the graduation discounts changing with the release of Visual Studio 2015, but the current story is posted here: https://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/about/graduation.aspx.  There are discounts for MSDN, and also for software assurance.  Renewal pricing in MSDN tends to be about 50% cheaper than buying a new MSDN Subscription, so getting to renew into MSDN is a much better deal that some customers get.    This all goes down on Monday so lets check back next week ok?

Have a good weekend!

Thanks,
    Mike

Friday, July 17, 2015 5:17 PM