Would like the old boot manager in Windows Developer Preview

Question

• Can I ask that if you're installing on a non tablet PC we get the older boot manger?

The current boot sequence (Windows 8 splash screen and then boot manager is confusing a lot of technical but new-to-Windows-8 people).

Original Title:  Windows 8 boot manager

Monday, November 21, 2011 11:40 AM

All replies

• The new booting menu for multi-boot is avaliable for both TouchScreen and non-Touch screen. In non-Touch you could use arrow key and mouse to chose your operating system.

The boot menu selection is easier to use for many users that are not technical.

I suggest take a look at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/20/reengineering-the-windows-boot-experience.aspx

Monday, November 21, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Yes it is; that's why I'm proposing a return to the older boot manager.

To be fair only those with a higher than average knowledge of Windows will have multiple versions of Windows installed. Remember that just because it looks different it doesn't mean that it's easier to understand/use. People will be expecting one thing and getting another.

My original second comment about the boot sequence still stands though. Let's say that a user has been told Windows 7 is installed on a laptop. Unknown to them Windows 8 preview has also been installed. They go and power it on and instead of the old boot manager appearing get firstly told that Windows Developer Preview is loading (which they know nothing about) - and on some machines this Windows Developer Preview splash screen remains there long enough to convince them that Windows 7 must have over written by the Windows 8 install. I for one would expect support calls out of this.

Just to complete the boot manager issue for me how come Windows XP has been dropped from the boot manager when Windows Vista remains? And I'm thinking of XP user percentages here as to why it should be there not the age of Windows XP or whether it's supported or not before anyone reminds me.

That article misses out the easist way to change the default OS: Advanced System Settings

Monday, November 21, 2011 4:01 PM
  • It is pre-Beta version of Windows 8 and it is just a prototype , regarding to multiboot, it should show Windows XP too , something must be wrong if it missing.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Yes I know that, that's why I'm feeding back on what my experiences are of it and of those who have come across it but not used it.

Is anyone else seeing XP missed off from the Windows 8 boot manager?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback, please give us some detail of your system and steps to reproduce this problem. Windows Testing Team will try to reproduce this and see what will happen.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Pretty much install W8 on a system with XP installed. I've no idea if also having W7 and / or Vista on the same machine is key.

I've seen this on at least 5 different laptops now.

Friday, November 25, 2011 4:38 PM