none
Wi-Fi driver through USB host interface RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to develop Wifi driver for Windows CE OS connected to Freescale based i.Mx6 device through USB host interface.
    I am planning to communicate with the Wifi driver through AT commands and so I want to make USB host driver detected 
    as virtual com port (USB serial client driver). What registry settings I need to make to do so.

Thanks in advance,

Seeth

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:04 PM

All replies

• I'm a bit confused. You'll want NDIS to talk to the device, right? Don't you need to make it appear to USB as a network driver, then? The network driver can, of course, use whatever it wants to talk to the hardware (at the USB level), but I don't see how creating a COM4: device gets you anywhere.

You're going to install two drivers, one for the hardware making it look like a serial port, and a second for NDIS interface? You're then going to open the serial port in your NDIS driver (you'll have to detect which of several ports is the right one), and implement the NDIS interface by making ReadFile, WriteFile, and DeviceIoControl calls to the serial port driver? Won't that be problematic for network adapter interrupt handling (among other things)?

Paul T.

Friday, January 23, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.
    I am planning to bypass the NDIS and directly communicate with the Wifi driver over serial  interface using AT command.
    I found that there is a way to directly communicate with the Wifi driver without NDIS layer using UART/SPI interface using AT  or control commands.
    In upper layer also, Instead of standard socket layer(which will use NDIS layer), planning to use custom TCP socket layer to directly communciate to Wifi driver.

Let me know If I am wrong.

Thank you,

Seeth

Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:31 AM
  • "wrong" is hard to assess but this seems like a crazy amount of work. I guess the question is "why?" What does this do for you that using a normal NDIS driver does not? You have a library you can trust to perform TCP socket I/O? If you're going to ignore the network stack, are you sure Windows CE has any value for the system at all? Maybe a no-operating system architecture makes more sense.

Paul T.

Monday, January 26, 2015 8:27 PM