UnitTest Project / Azure development storage dependencies - runs interactivly but when run w/ our build process it does not finish RRS feed

• Question

• We have a home made build process, that just Starts a process and runs MSTest the command line would look like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\MSTest c:\Builder\Code\Tests\Cavatica35.Web.Tests\bin\Release\Cavatica35.Web.Tests.dll /resultsfile:c:\Temp\Output\Cavatica35_Web_Tests_Results.trx

If I login to the build box via RDP, and run the above command, the unit tests seems to run and complete.

These tests rely on the azure development environment, so inside the tests they look for "DSSERVICESQL", if its not there, they call dsInit.exe /silent then csrun.exe /devstore then csrun.exe /devfabric

We have non azure tests that seem to run just fine w/ our process.start...

Originally I was thinking there was some rights issue, so I added a process.start that ran WhoAmI - and it confirmed the process was running under my credentials, the same one I used when I RDP'ed to the machine and ran the tests successfully from the cmd line. 

I then noticed there were tons of dsinit process's in the machines process tree, so I added the dsinit /slient to the tests Initialize method, and those went way... 

The only other wrinkle is our build program is hosted in iis...

Has anyone else encountered anything similar?  We have ended up having a timer, and if the unit test does not complete we kill the process, and move on so we can have a completed build.

-Deva

Deva Wijewickrema

Monday, May 20, 2013 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Just to make the issue clearly:

1. Can you describe your Azure development environment in details?
    2. Which version of VS do you use? Is it on the Windows Azure?
    3. Do you run test in Developer Command Prompt for VS with mstest.exe? Or you run test through a build program on build box?
    4. Are you run test using test controller and test agent?

Hope you can provide us more information so that we can further look at this issue.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:41 AM
    1. Can you describe your Azure development environment in details? VS 2012, Azure 1.8.0 sdk - web role, worker role projects, test projects - test talking to azure table storage - where we use the azure dev fabric to simulate that
    2. Which version of VS do you use? Is it on the Windows Azure? - Visual Studio 2012
    3. Do you run test in Developer Command Prompt for VS with mstest.exe? Or you run test through a build program on build box? Both - we run a build program on a build box, that shells out to command prompt via c# / .net System.Diagnostics.Process and starts a fully pathed mstest.ext - we know the basic plumbing works, as we have 10 different test dll's, and only 3 of them fail to run.
    4. Are you run test using test controller and test agent? - I am not sure, we have a dll that contains unit tests that we run via the following command [C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\MSTest c:\Builder\Code\Tests\Cavatica35.Web.Tests\bin\Release\Cavatica35.Web.Tests.dll /resultsfile:c:\Temp\Output\Cavatica35_Web_Tests_Results.trx]

Deva Wijewickrema

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hi Deva,

You may gather DSINIT log, see we can find any clue there. It's under

[User root folder]\AppData\Local\DevelopmentStorage\Logs

Thanks,

Monday, May 27, 2013 1:48 AM