none
[C#, .NET3.5]Fatal Execution Engine Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a VSTO addin for Outlook. It runs fine on several systems (vista, 7), however on some machine (Windows XP SP3 is a common denominator) where it fails with logged event: 2.0.50727.3623 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A05ADE0) (80131506)

I am not able to reproduce it at all. Thanks for any clue.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:11 PM

Answers

• Thanks all for the hints.

It finally turned out to be a trhird party application destroying .NET heap. It works now, I will contact a manufacturer of that app to remedy this problem.

• Marked as answer by Jirka_ Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:51 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:51 AM

All replies

• It seems they are not running the latest version of the runtime. Can you ensure all the service packs are applied and any other fixes from windows update?

Here is a version history for CLR 2.0.5727.?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dougste/archive/2007/09/06/version-history-of-the-clr-2-0.aspx

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Check out my answer in this thread.

If you don't have repro and still want to investigate it, try to collect dumps from your customers. Maybe you will find some actionable common denominator.

-Karel

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Thanks, it really seems they are running old CLR version, but the trouble is that Windows update shows all updates are already installed?

The second trouble is this:

MS11-044: Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 on Windows XP Service Pack 3 and on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2: June 14, 2011
    (GDR version)

How to ensure they have the latest CLR, I see no update anywhere?

• Edited by Jirka_ Monday, September 26, 2011 1:12 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:14 AM
    • Does your application fail on more than one machine?

Yes, it fails on multiple machines, common denominator is Windows XP SP3. But there are machines with the pretty same configuration that works good.

• Does your application use native/COM interop?

A lot, but not at the beginning of the application, I would understand there is a simple log with startup and then it fails on COM interop. But it seems it won't reach even the log code at the very beginning of the app entry point.

• Does your application use other libraries (other than .NET Framework itself)?

Yes, several 3rd party libs, the first that hits is SQLite.

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:47 AM
  • I have found that I am not able to create crashdump, the problem is that Outlook freezes while run in windbg. Immediate crashdump of the current situation shows last calls in the call stack:

Microsoft_VisualStudio_Tools_Office_AddInAdapter_v9_0_ni+0x219e3
    Microsoft_VisualStudio_Tools_Office_AddInAdapter_v9_0_ni+0xe9fd

And no more. If I run Outlook without windbg, it crashes silently and immediately, it simply disappears, leaving event log only (Fatal execution engine error).

• Edited by Jirka_ Monday, September 26, 2011 11:45 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Jirko,

Did you try to setup your machine to collect the dumps automatically when a crash happens? For example:
        * http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/81006-automatically-generate-crash-dump-after-appcrash.html
        * http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74145&key=15143&actp=LIST

-Karel

• Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Friday, September 30, 2011 7:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jirka_ Friday, September 30, 2011 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Unfortunately I was not able to obtain crash dump at all, it always hangs. I tried to reinstall VSTO 4.0 and also install .NET 4.0 hoping that it brings new CLR and base classes. But it did not change the behavior, it's still crashing.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Then it might be a machine problem. Debugger should not hang. Can you try another machine? Different steps for collecting crash dumps?

Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:33 AM
  • The trouble is that it works on the machines with similar configuration. I have tried several virtuals with Windows XP SP3 and I had no luck with reproducing this issue at all.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Could this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598773 be related? Is it possible that it could affect also WinXP machine?

I updated that machine with 6 missing updates related to .NET framework, but I am still getting the same CLR version 3623. Is 2.0.50727. 3623 the latest that can be get on Windows XP?

• Edited by Jirka_ Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:43 PM
  • From the description it does not look the KB is affecting WinXP, so I guess it is not related.

-Karel

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Thanks that's what I was afraid of.

How should I ensure that XP is running latest version of CLR? I tried to update all components I've found on MS Download Center but there is still 3623.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:04 AM
  • You can try recompile your code to use .Net 4.0 as it has a more helpful stack trace. You can also create a trace listener to log method calls to .Net.

A pinvoke signature error can corrupt memory, and may cause the fatal exception long after the original invoke was issued. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Thanks all for the hints.

It finally turned out to be a trhird party application destroying .NET heap. It works now, I will contact a manufacturer of that app to remedy this problem.

• Marked as answer by Jirka_ Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:51 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:51 AM