none
Problem using Visual Studio as IDE for Arduino Galileo RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently set up my system for using Visual Studio as my IDE for development work on the Arduino Galileo. When I start a project and build, deploy and run it the first time, it works fine.  If I enter a debug break during execution, revise the code, and then try to restart, it rebuilds fine with a "deploy succeeded" message, but after deploy I get a series of errors for different locations on the Arduino stating "Cannot find or open the PDB file."

What do I do so that, when I break execution and revise code, can redeploy and have it run?

Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:33 PM

Answers

• You can try updating the firmware yourself here:  http://ms-iot.github.io/content/IBoughtAGalileo.htm

If the issue still reproes, it sounds like a good bug.  Bugs can be posted on the Connect site for this program here:  http://connect.microsoft.com/windowsembeddediot/SelfNomination.aspx?ProgramID=8558

Ric Lewis

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:23 PM

All replies

• Can you post the list of errors you get? Also if you do a "Clean Solution" then a "Rebuild Solution" then start debugging does that work?

Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:48 PM
  • If you can post the full debug output, it would help with diagnostics.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am experiencing the same using the default sourcecode to program an Galileo with an SDcard with the windowsOS on it ready in the Galileo. After compilation I get these errors:

'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\test\Galileo Wiring App1.exe'. Symbols loaded.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32legacy.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\embprpusr.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcr120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\mincoredload.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    Hello Blinky!
    First-chance exception at 0x76FC0F63 in Galileo Wiring App1.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _arduino_fatal_error at memory location 0x0102EED0.

Sketch Aborted! A fatal error has occurred:
    First-chance exception at 0x76FC0F63 in Galileo Wiring App1.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _arduino_fatal_error at memory location 0x0102F32C.
    'Galileo Wiring App1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\errorhandlingext.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    Unhandled exception at 0x76FC0F63 in Galileo Wiring App1.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _arduino_fatal_error at memory location 0x0102F32C.

Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:54 AM
  • This is exactly what I get.

I AM CONVINCED IT IS AN ERROR IN THE FIRMWARE.

On rebooting the Arduino, can successfully deploy the same sketch, ONCE.  Then a redeploy gets this error. 

Makes Visual Studio useless as an IDE.
    • Edited by TClaiborne Sunday, August 17, 2014 8:33 PM
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 8:33 PM
  • You can try updating the firmware yourself here:  http://ms-iot.github.io/content/IBoughtAGalileo.htm

If the issue still reproes, it sounds like a good bug.  Bugs can be posted on the Connect site for this program here:  http://connect.microsoft.com/windowsembeddediot/SelfNomination.aspx?ProgramID=8558

Ric Lewis

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Thanks, Ric.  Well, under advice I received, I did update the firmware.  However, I want this forum to know about a problem I had doing THAT.  It involved trying to install the Arduino IDE (which is required for the firmware update).  Trying to run it, I received a message that I needed the Java SE Development Kit, which is just insane.  SO, just so you know, instead I updated the firmware from the Arduino Galileo IDE ON MY MAC.  Now VS seems to work pretty well as an IDE for the Galileo.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 3:41 PM