none
MEF in a Desktop Bridge application RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a WPF Desktop Bridge application in the Windows Store. I'd like to upgrade this project to accept third party "plugins" but I'm trying to gauge whether I should invest any more time into this effort.

There is some conflicting information online regarding the plausibility of doing so. On one hand, UWP does not allow loading of third party assemblies. On the other hand, this is a desktop bridge app and I've seen some store apps say they are attempting (and even successfully) allowing extensions on their apps (like notepad++ unofficial).

Based on my research, there are so called "app extensions", which would even be sufficient for my needs, if only they allowed rendering of XAML/UIElements rather than just calling the code through an app service.

So my question is, will a desktop bridge app that uses MEF to host third party code & controls pass certification in the Windows Store? Is there any other technologies out there that I could consider that would be compliant with store policy? 

Note that I tested this sample app and it passed WACK without any issues.
    Thursday, April 4, 2019 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi akc250,

>will a desktop bridge app that uses MEF to host third party code & controls pass certification in the Windows Store? 

There are a few things to note before packaging the Desktop bridge app that are listed in Prepare to package a desktop application. So as long as your app meets these requirements and meet requirements for third-party in the policy, even if it contains third-party controls, it could be released through the store.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian  

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:29 AM