none
No Supported USB 3.0 port detected, but previews worked. UPDATE: Shuttle SX79R5, ASMedia USB 3.0. UPDATE2: Intel X99 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Shuttle SX79R5 XPC and I'm having trouble with the Kinect 2. The config verifier is saying : "No supported USB 3.0 port detected" and I'm getting no streams from the kinect. Its light isn't even coming on. (or occasionally comes on, then switches off again).

I have nothing else connected on the USB 3.0 ports.

Most interestingly, I used the Kinect2 preview kits with the preview SDK's on this very same computer without any problems.(And there has not been any hardware changes in the PC).

Has the requirements changed for the release version of the Kinect 2? Or could it be a software issue? If the latter, how can I find out what is causing it? I've been through checking all running software and can't find anything that might be causing this.

UPDATE:

Upon further research I'd like to add:

However I can confirm that with the November 2013 and March 2014 Preview SDK's the Kinect 2 was working on this PC. Unfortunately there is no room in the shuttle for an additional USB 3.0 controller. Is there any way of making it work again?

• Edited by Memo Akten Friday, December 5, 2014 2:41 PM
    Monday, December 1, 2014 12:04 AM

Answers

• ASMedia was not a chipset that had ever been supported, so it is interesting that the DPP devices worked. There are no dependencies in the runtime that requires a specific chipset. The recommendation of Intel or Renesas is based on lab testing and what can be assured to work with high degree of success. There may be some edge case chipset/driver combinations that might work, but since we have no see enough successful testing data to support it, it would be hit or miss on using it in a supported scenario.

The only requirement is the USB3 chipset/driver can support the allocation bandwidth requirements that are made when the Kinect v2 driver is loaded and makes that request. When the device driver loads we must make bandwidth reservations (BULK/ISOC) to get data from the device. If this is all successful, you should see the device listed in device manager. The typical connection issues occur here and the device is not loaded and see in device manager.

With RTW, there is another issue that occurs because the bandwidth data speeds are not fast enough between device and system/runtime(latency). The runtime is actively monitoring data from the sensor and if too much data lags behind, or not getting any data, it forces a restart. This can occur for several reasons, but mainly, in higher end machines, power management features of the motherboard/chipset or PCIx bus speeds throttling. see troubleshooting link, last post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, December 1, 2014 8:48 PM

All replies

• ASMedia was not a chipset that had ever been supported, so it is interesting that the DPP devices worked. There are no dependencies in the runtime that requires a specific chipset. The recommendation of Intel or Renesas is based on lab testing and what can be assured to work with high degree of success. There may be some edge case chipset/driver combinations that might work, but since we have no see enough successful testing data to support it, it would be hit or miss on using it in a supported scenario.

The only requirement is the USB3 chipset/driver can support the allocation bandwidth requirements that are made when the Kinect v2 driver is loaded and makes that request. When the device driver loads we must make bandwidth reservations (BULK/ISOC) to get data from the device. If this is all successful, you should see the device listed in device manager. The typical connection issues occur here and the device is not loaded and see in device manager.

With RTW, there is another issue that occurs because the bandwidth data speeds are not fast enough between device and system/runtime(latency). The runtime is actively monitoring data from the sensor and if too much data lags behind, or not getting any data, it forces a restart. This can occur for several reasons, but mainly, in higher end machines, power management features of the motherboard/chipset or PCIx bus speeds throttling. see troubleshooting link, last post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, December 1, 2014 8:48 PM
  • Hi Carmine, thanks for the detailed answer.

FYI. The Kinect is appearing in my device manager, but with a yellow exclamation mark which says:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10). Current device power state cannot support this request."

Monday, December 1, 2014 9:14 PM
  • You can also try to reset the driver for the USB3 chipset and see if that changes the behavior. Right click on the entry in Device Manager and disable/enable the device. There may be a BIOS setting for USB3 power, but this type will prevent the Kinect driver from loading.

You might also want to check with the OEM of the device and see if there is an updated driver from the chipset manufacturer.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Hi Carmine, yes I've searched the BIOS for anything USB / Power / PCI related but it's very minimal. Nothing in there.

I've also tried drivers from the OEM (latest was 2013) and installed those. Unfortunately didn't make a difference. Perhaps the preview SDK wasn't as rigorous on the necessary bandwidth reservations on loading, and just tried to stream the data no matter what. Perhaps with the preview SDK I was having dropouts but I didn't notice, and only now the more rigorous checks at startup are preventing the driver from even loading?

I've already sold the Shuttle and now building a new PC (with Intel X99 chipset - hopefully that should work) so won't be able to do any more tests. Though it would be good to find out about compact computers (non-laptop) that work with the Kinect 2. (Some of the shuttles may work as they're based on newer intel chipsets with built-in USB 3.0 controllers. Though it would be great to find even smaller PCs - almost like powerful nettop boxes - that can act as Kinect2 data grabbing satellites).

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:21 AM
  • I am making an assumption you had tested against August/September releases as well. We did make a change to uncompressed color that has more bandwidth issues. Did you test with that one as well?

The uncompressed color change was to ensure better alignment with color/depth frames. If you ever tried the "CoordinateMapper" demo you would have seen the latency issues improve greatly at that time.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Hi Carmine, unfortunately no, I was quite tied up in the summer and didn't get round to trying those releases. Looking in my SDKs folder I can see installers from 11/2013 and 03/2014, so that would have been the last SDK that I had installed.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:49 PM
  • For the archives:

I've upgraded to a new PC with an ASUS X99 Deluxe mobo based on the Intel X99 chipset with onboard USB 3.0.

The mobo actually has an Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller AND an ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.

The Configuration Verifier has an orange exclamation mark on the USB Controller and says: "Unknown USB 3.0 port detected. Your USB configuration may support Kinect for Windows". (as opposed to the previous message which was "No supported USB 3.0 port detected").

When I plug the kinect2 into an ASMedia USB 3.0 port, the stream verifier shows both color and depth streams at 30fps. It runs for a few minutes, but occasionally disconnects, then reconnects and the streams carry on at 30fps.

The Intel ports work fine.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:21 PM
  • the disconnects are due to power management. See troubleshooting link last thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, December 8, 2014 8:15 PM
  • It is great to hear that Asus X99 deluxe works with Kinect V2.
    I wanted to get Asus x99 but from the specifications it seems like all 8-ports of Asus mobo are based on ASMedia USB 3.0

ASMedia chipset has been popular for NOT WORKING with Kinect V2 in this forum.

That's why finally I get a Gigabyte X99 UD4, which has both Intel and Renesas chipset.

In fact, in my configuration viewer, it still shows orange ! mark on the USB controller, but the depth and color streams run fine mostly at 29-30 fps (although sometimes it drops to 25fps)

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:24 AM
  • Yes, to confirm the Asus X99 Deluxe has 10x Intel ports (8x on rear, 2x on front) and 2x AS Media on rear. This is the same AS Media 104x controller as what was on my shuttle I think.

I've disabled SpeedStep in the BIOS, it seems a lot more stable on the AS Media controller, running two streams (color + depth) solidly for 30fps for a 5-10 minutes, BUT as soon as I force the CPU (e.g. when I launched firefox to write this post) it disconnects and reconnects. Out of curiosity I tried running NovaBench CPU stress tests while running the stream verifier, and the kinect was disconnected throughout the benchmark, reconnected once the benchmark was over.

On Intel ports it's pretty solid. Running NovaBench while running the KinectVerifier I get a drop to about 26fps, but nothing below that.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:41 AM
  • Since the Intel works, I would stick to that. Disconnects happen because of continuous latency off the PCIx/USB3 connection. If data continues to lag behind, the runtime forces a restart to ensure the connection is stable.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:34 PM